[net.micro.amiga] questions about Commodore monitors

roberts@nbs-vms.ARPA@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (03/04/86)

From: "ROBERTS, JOHN" <roberts@nbs-vms.ARPA>

(1) I would be interested in having a monitor connected both to
an Amiga (RGB) and to the composite video output of a VCR, so I
could use it both as a computer display and as a high-quality
television monitor. Is it possible to do this with a standard
Amiga monitor? Would the Amiga monitor have a noticeably shorter
lifetime than a typical television set?

(2) Months ago, there was a lot of discussion concerning two types
of monitors for the Amiga sold by Commodore. Are both types still
being sold? If the sales people don't know, how can I tell them
apart in the showroom? What are their comparative characteristics?

(3) Has anybody tried using the RGB monitor designed for the C128
with the Amiga? Any success?

Thanks in advance for any information that can be provided.

(Standard disclaimers.)
                                    John Roberts
                                    roberts@nbs-vms.ARPA
------

cem@intelca.UUCP (Chuck McManis) (03/06/86)

> From: "ROBERTS, JOHN" <roberts@nbs-vms.ARPA>
>

> (1) I would be interested in having a monitor connected both to
> an Amiga (RGB) and to the composite video output of a VCR, so I
> could use it both as a computer display and as a high-quality
> television monitor. Is it possible to do this with a standard
> Amiga monitor? Would the Amiga monitor have a noticeably shorter
> lifetime than a typical television set?

An nice solution to the above question is the Sony KV1311. It has
RGB, and composite video inputs. It also provides TV and composite
video out (but no it does not try to convert RGB to composite video
out) It works equally well as a VCR monitor, Amiga Monitor, and
standalone TV.

--Chuck

--
                                            - - - D I S C L A I M E R - - -
{ihnp4,fortune}!dual\                     All opinions expressed herein are my

Thomson@huey.udel.EDU (03/12/86)

From: Thomson@huey.udel.EDU

> From: "ROBERTS, JOHN"
>
> (1) I would be interested in having a monitor connected both to
> an Amiga (RGB) and to the composite video output of a VCR, ...

I have the 1080 monitor connected in just such a configuration and it works
fine.  In fact, the TV picture is very nice.  I never saw the Monkees look so
good.  You can even put the composite out into your VCR (if it has this input)
and send the composite out to your monitor to record the Amiga's output/play a
tape.  Of course, you'll get much better resolution using the RGB inputs of
the monitor, but you may want the combination of using it through your VCR.

					Rich Thomson