[net.micro.amiga] daphne

daemon@caip.UUCP (02/07/86)

From: S7YLF4%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU

One fine day ago I read something about a chip called (appropriately
anthropomorphically) Daphne.  I don't know much about the Amiga
innards, but I saw something about a different 'halfbrite' graphics
mode.  Does anyone know anything about it?  Also, off on a
tangent, why was the Amiga named so?  (Do the original designers
have a thing for female computers?)

nj

avery@puff.UUCP (Aaron Avery) (02/08/86)

The story is that originally the Amiga was called the Amica, which is Latin
for friend, or friendly, but come copywrite time, they found that Amica was
in use, so they changed the name to Amiga. Supposedly they didn't notice
the Spanish connection, but I'm not so sure.
     As for Daphne, I too would like to know if, when rev. 6 of the chip is
being produced (probably now), we can get it into our machines. I,
for one, would like to be able to see the extra-half-brite if I'm
developing a program that uses it.

perry@atux01.UUCP (P. Kivolowitz) (03/14/86)

At a VMR meeting I attended in Manhatten, it was disclosed that rev 7
daphnes (denises, whatever) will no longer have half brite mode. Some
background:

	Most machines shipped have a rev 5 daphne.
	Some new machines have rev 6 which can do half brite (64
		color, 32 being half the  intensity of the other
		32).
	Most people cannot utilize hb mode since they have rev 5
		parts. Updating  everyone to rev 6 would be exp-
		ensive.
	No rev 7 parts have been shipped yet. But will in the future.

Bottom line:	Don't utilize hb mode in any code you are developing.

Could someone from C= confirm this to the net? Although I heard this
first hand from a high C= official, I'd like to see this from a second
C= source.

Perry S. Kivolowitz

dale@amiga.UUCP (Dale Luck) (03/17/86)

In article <188@atux01.UUCP> perry@atux01.UUCP (P. Kivolowitz) writes:
>At a VMR meeting I attended in Manhatten, it was disclosed that rev 7
>daphnes (denises, whatever) will no longer have half brite mode.
>background:
>
>	Most machines shipped have a rev 5 daphne.
>	Some new machines have rev 6 which can do half brite (64
>		color, 32 being half the  intensity of the other
>		32).
>
>Although I heard this first hand from a high C= official,
>I'd like to see this from a second C= source.

Will a low level AMIGA source do? We are now to Rev8 on denise's (daphnae's
were dropped over a year ago) and the EXTRA_HALFBRITE is still in there.

Dale Luck

ps: What was the high C= official on? must have been good!

In article <188@atux01.UUCP> perry@atux01.UUCP (P. Kivolowitz) writes:
>At a VMR meeting I attended in Manhatten, it was disclosed that rev 7
>daphnes (denises, whatever) will no longer have half brite mode. Some
>background:
>	Most machines shipped have a rev 5 daphne.
>	No rev 7 parts have been shipped yet. But will in the future.

Ok, next question is, what does rev 7 do different than rev 5?

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
#  cadovax!keithd@ucla-locus.arpa

In article <864@amiga.amiga.UUCP> dale@tooter.UUCP (Dale Luck) writes:
>In article <188@atux01.UUCP> perry@atux01.UUCP (P. Kivolowitz) writes:
>>At a VMR meeting I attended in Manhatten, it was disclosed that rev 7
>>daphnes (denises, whatever) will no longer have half brite mode.
>>
>Will a low level AMIGA source do? We are now to Rev8 on denise's (daphnae's
>were dropped over a year ago) and the EXTRA_HALFBRITE is still in there.
>
>Dale Luck
>
>ps: What was the high C= official on? must have been good!

Perhaps he was trying to pacify some Amiga owners to keep them from
squawking for upgrades to halfbright for their machines.  Personally,
I don't mind if C= dosen't want to upgrade for free, I'd PAY to
upgrade my machine.  If C= setup a denise upgrade mechanism in such a
way as to provide some extra revenue (or at least pay for itself) I
wouldn't think that would be too bad of an idea (anybody remember the
Atari 800 CTIA => GTIA upgrades?

dale@amiga.UUCP (Dale Luck) (03/19/86)

In article <1019@cadovax.UUCP> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:
>In article <188@atux01.UUCP> perry@atux01.UUCP (P. Kivolowitz) writes:
>>At a VMR meeting I attended in Manhatten, it was disclosed that rev 7
>>daphnes (denises, whatever) will no longer have half brite mode. Some
>>background:
>>	Most machines shipped have a rev 5 daphne.
>>	No rev 7 parts have been shipped yet. But will in the future.
>
>Ok, next question is, what does rev 7 do different than rev 5?

It makes this C= spokesmen misinformed.
This rumor is that, only a rumor. Even Rev8 denises have HALF-BRITE.
Dale Luck
Manager of graphics software, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

hr@uicsl.UUCP (03/19/86)

RE:
	"We are now to Rev8 on denise's ... and the EXTRA_HALFBRITE
	is still in there."

Will it be possible for us to upgrade from rev 5 or whatever? Is the
chip socketed? If it is possible to order the chip, how much is it?
(If I were ever to open up the case, I could answer some of this myself.)

What sort of things are being changed that require new revs???
----

	harold ravlin		{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uicsl!hr