[net.micro.amiga] Amazing computing

page@ulowell.UUCP (Bob Page) (12/14/85)

I just had a very long talk with Don Hicks, publisher of "Amazing Computing"
(yeah, I know it's a dumb name).  He seems pumped up about it, and gave me
loads of info that I thought I'd pass along.

The first issue will be at the dealers (Amiga dealers, not newsstands) in
the second week of January.  It will be ~64 pages, color scheme is blue
and black until he goes to full color.  As of tonight he's sold 1600 copies
at $2.50 each.  A yearly subscription is $24 (it's a monthly) in the US,
$30 in Canada & Mexico, $36 overseas.  No Visa yet, he says  ("I'm workin'
on it").  He'll have a little newsstand distribution but he targeted the
dealers first.  Out of the 650 letters he sent, he's only received 40
replies so far.

First ish will have A C tutorial by John Foust (who is also going to write
a monthly AMICUS column), a terminal emulator written in ABasiC, a simple
graphics program in ABasiC (he didn't have MSBasic at the time), reviews
of TextCraft and GraphiCraft and some other things.  Dan Zigfield (sp?),
one-time-contributor to AmigaWorld (and might still be, I dunno) is going
to write a Lisp tutorial.

The writers are working for *free* right now, since this appears to be a
grassroots operation.  Commodore-Amiga seems to be interested, I don't know
if they took out ad space (I didn't ask) - it will be interesting to
see if they will favor BYTE or AmigaWorld over A.C.  He hopes to step back
and do some evaluating and fine tuning after three months, figure out a
pay rate for writers, etc.  And probably raise the ad rates, which are:
full page: $200.   2/3 p: $150.   1/2 p: $120.   1/3 p: $90.   1/4 p: $70.
These are one-time insertion prices.  He may start up a classified section
in the future.

His deadline for articles for the first issue is Friday, Dec 20, so the
lead time is pretty short!  Other tidbits:  The entire issue was set up
on a Mac ("I'm still waiting for Amiga software!"), he's going to be
sponsoring a Public Domain Library clearing house, he's had conversations
with Guy Wright (at AmigaWorld) about what they're doing; promises to
publish long listings when he gets them (AmigaWorld didn't say they
*wouldn't* publish listings but if MacWorld is any indication...).

So that's about all I got :-) out of him.  He likes to talk.  Looks like
it could have some potential.

Sorry, I lost his name and number already!  Look back a few days' worth of
postings and you'll find it.

(disclaimer:  I know what I know because after seeing Kim DeVaughn's (sp?)
posting yesterday I called him and we talked for about 45 minutes.  I'm
not involved in any way, but I'd like to see it do well, and might even
contribute if the first ish looks good.)

--
-----
UUCP: decvax!wanginst!ulowell!page   Bob Page

djz@spice.cs.cmu.edu (12/17/85)

From: Daniel.Zigmond@SPICE.CS.CMU.EDU

_________________________________
> From: ulowell!page@caip.rutgers.edu (Bob Page)
> Subject: Amazing Computing
> Date: 14 Dec 85 06:28:21 GMT

> Dan Zigfield (sp?),
> one-time-contributor to AmigaWorld (and might still be, I dunno) is going
> to write a Lisp tutorial.

I have recently become a contributing editor of AmigaWorld magazine and this
post reminded me of something I've meant to do for a while.  I have some
flexibility in what sort of things I write for AmigaWorld and I know there
are a lot of critics on the net.  I'm curious to know what sort of articles
you would be interested in seeing in AmigaWorld.  As Bob's post pointed out,
I am starting a column in Amazing Computing because I know there are some
things that Guy Wright seems dead set on keeping out of AmigaWorld (like my
Lisp tutorial) but he is sincerely interested in adding some meat to the
magazine and I think AmigaWorld has the advantage of a large distribution.

	Dan

spencer@oberon.UUCP (Randy Spencer) (03/20/86)

I am starting to go crazy!!!  I have looked all over LA and I can't find

Amazing Computing!  Where is it??  How can I get a Subscription.

I am sure that this has already been posted, but then I didn't think that

it was going to be that good a magazine.

Randal Spencer  - Student DEC Consulting -   University of Southern California
(213) 743-5363  UUCP...!{uscvax,sdcrdcf,engvax,scgvaxd,smeagol}!oberon!spencer
Arpa: Spencer@USC-ECL  or  Spencer@USC-Oberon          Bitnet: Spencer@USCVAXQ
Home: 937 N. Beverly Glen Bl. Bel Air California 90077          (213) 470-0428