[net.micro.amiga] Manx db

rokicki@Navajo.ARPA (Tomas Rokicki) (03/19/86)

I have just received the new (3.20a) Manx C compiler and have been
working hard on bringing up a 25,000 line program (TeX, for those
who are interested.)  The preliminary version of db that comes with
the compiler is OUTSTANDING---debugging C code has never been so
fun!  Many many kudos to Jim Goodnow and the rest of Manx . . .

                                                         -tom

breuel@h-sc1.UUCP (thomas breuel) (03/22/86)

Probably many people are interested in TeX for the AMIGA.
If the version that you are porting is public domain, I am sure
it would be appreciated greatly if you posted it. Otherwise,
please let us know whether and when it will be a commercial product.

					Thanks,
					Thomas.

PS: I'm posting this rather than mailing it partially to see
how many other people are *really* interested in TeX. For those
who don't know: TeX is a text formatting/typesetting program
for papers, in particular technical/mathematical papers. It was
developed by Knuth at Stanford, and (I think) the original PASCAL version
is public domain. I have not used it myself (having troff/eqn/...),
but I hear that it is an excellent system. It would certainly be
great if it were available for the AMIGA.

george@osu-eddie.UUCP (George Jones) (03/24/86)

In article <999@h-sc1.UUCP>, breuel@h-sc1.UUCP (thomas breuel) writes:

> PS: I'm posting this rather than mailing it partially to see
> how many other people are *really* interested in TeX.
> ... It would certainly be
> great if it were available for the AMIGA.

I am interested.  I'm not sure if I am *realy* interested, but I am
interested.  Keep me posted on any developments.

--
 -----------
 George M. Jones         cbosgd!osu-eddie!george (uucp)

rokicki@Navajo.ARPA (Tomas Rokicki) (03/25/86)

TeX finally works (it just passed the trip test today.)  It will not
be public domain; it will be distributed by me as soon as I get it and
all the necessary support finished (make that a month or so), for
details, mail to rokicki@su-sushi.arpa.  The Pascal version is public domain;
I converted the Pascal to C and compiled.  (No, it wasn't quite that easy.)
It is FAST on the Amiga; preliminary results seem to indicate it is twice
as fast as TeX for the Macintosh by Kellerman & Smith.  All I need now is
a bigger machine (512K is too small to create a format file), a screen
driver, and some device drivers.

-tom