[net.micro.amiga] uu and otherwise encoded binaries

urjlew@ecsvax.UUCP (Rostyk Lewyckyj) (03/19/86)

I am not a network official. I am just a tyro users, one individual
but please hearken to my plea.

I plead with you not to post uuencoded binaries to net.sources.
Please post only human readable sources to that collection. The
only allowable exception that I can see would be for binary data!
in a standardized interchange format, e.g. an IFF encoded picture
file, or machine independant initialization data for a posted
program. Machine specific encryptions should be confined to the
newsgroup/list devoted to that hardware.

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (03/21/86)

In article <1293@ecsvax.UUCP> urjlew@ecsvax.UUCP (Rostyk Lewyckyj) writes:

>I am not a network official. I am just a tyro users, one individual
>but please hearken to my plea.
>
>I plead with you not to post uuencoded binaries to net.sources.
>Please post only human readable sources to that collection. The
>only allowable exception that I can see would be for binary data!
>in a standardized interchange format, e.g. an IFF encoded picture
>file, or machine independant initialization data for a posted
>program. Machine specific encryptions should be confined to the
>newsgroup/list devoted to that hardware.

Interesting....

	A year ago the "newsgroup/list devoted to the hardware"
	net.micro.mac threw out mac sources and binaries and CREATED
	net sources.mac.

	Now, along people come.....   It's an old story.
--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

bees@infoswx.UUCP (03/25/86)

> I plead with you not to post uuencoded binaries to net.sources.
> Please post only human readable sources to that collection. The
> only allowable exception that I can see would be for binary data!
> in a standardized interchange format, e.g. an IFF encoded picture
> file, or machine independant initialization data for a posted
> program. Machine specific encryptions should be confined to the
> newsgroup/list devoted to that hardware.

Hmmm... in a network based on uucp, where every installation has
a uuencode and a uudecode, I would consider that very standard.
But, maybe that isn't really what you meant.

Ray Davis