[net.micro.amiga] CLI

page%ulowell.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA (10/29/85)

From: Bob Page <page%ulowell.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>

Rod -
  You asked if 'anyone else' was writing a shell for AmigaDos.  I am.
It has/will have search paths and aliases, along with pipes, history
and other such goodies.  I am not going to 'build in' all the AmigaDos
commands (maybe CD, DIR) except its own (ALIAS, REPEAT, TIME) however,
so it may not be what you are after.  I'm trying to give it csh-like
functionality where possible.  I'm intending this as a commercial
product; if you're interested in beta-testing it (in about a month)
let me know.
~BP
-------
page%ulowell.csnet@csnet-relay

wbe@BBN-VAX.ARPA (10/30/85)

From: "Winston B. Edmond" <wbe@BBN-VAX.ARPA>

    From:     Bob Page <page%ulowell.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
    Subject:  CLI

    Rod -
      You asked if 'anyone else' was writing a shell for AmigaDos.  I am.
    It has/will have search paths and aliases, along with pipes, history
    and other such goodies.
    .... I'm trying to give it csh-like functionality where possible. ...
    ~BP

One misfeature of csh (under 4.1 BSD and, I presume, 4.2) is that it
insisted on adding the command line to the history file before
executing the command.  When disk space on the unit with the history
file ran out, I was completely stuck --- I couldn't even execute a
command to delete files because it would get an error trying to record
the command and abort.

A locally developed shell fixes this by keeping only the last few
command lines, and keeping them in memory.  The number of lines kept
can be set by changing the shell variable HISTORY.  I use HISTORY=20,
and rarely ever even go back that far.  It's probably also easier to
implement.
 -WBE

peter@graffiti.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (10/31/85)

> One misfeature of csh (under 4.1 BSD and, I presume, 4.2) is that it
> insisted on adding the command line to the history file before
> executing the command....
>
> A locally developed shell fixes this by keeping only the last few
> command lines, and keeping them in memory.  The number of lines kept
> can be set by changing the shell variable HISTORY...

That's how csh works, too. You can stop saving history to disk by saying

	set savehist=0

and you can change your history by saying

	set history=xxx

I generally set savehist to half of history.
--
Name: Peter da Silva
Graphic: `-_-'

bees@infoswx.UUCP (11/07/85)

It won't be necessary to have AmigaDOS commands built into a shell,
if that shell has a search path.  Frequently used commands that I
might tend to want built in can simply be copied to ram:c which
would be part of my path.

PS: why don't you make your shells Korn shellish instead of C shellish.   B-)

Ray Davis
Teknekron Infoswitch, Richardson, TX
infoswx!bees, (214)644-0570

#D2S%DDATHD21@WISCVM.WISC.EDU (03/26/86)

From: #D2S%DDATHD21.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU

Hello netpeople,

Ideas for improving the CLI:
============================
The following lines are dedicated to the AMIGA-OS-developers - maybe
you have done some of the things I will propose, but anyway - it would
be good then:

The first thing I recognized using the CLI was the lack of beeing unable
to use the cursor-keys for editing (why that? Do you like UNIX-shell ?).
The second thing was, that the AMIGA-CLI has no(!) real com-input-buffer
Maybe you should take a look at the VAX-VMS 4.2. There your last 20
coms are buffered and you can recall them by cursor up/down. I think you
should implement that useful option too. By the way, it keeps compatible
with the old CLI and offers more comfort.

                so long       Kosta

BITNET: #D2S@DDATHD21                    < Show me Your disclaimer and >
ARPA  : #D2S%DDATHD21 at wiscvm.wisc.edu < I tell You who You are...   >
                                             <CB>'s std. disclaimer!

	My personal opinion of the CLI is that it is a Cluge for the OS
not providing a standard I/O interface (e.g. file descriptors) to programs.
However, I also must reiterate that the Amiga people were correct in trying
to make it as small as possible.  Since most programs require a CLI to run,
having a large CLI with thousands of features (that programs running under
it would never use), would simply waste huge amounts of memory.

	Rather, I think the proper course of action is to use a shell
program of some sort instead.  You could put as many features in the shell
as you wanted, since it would not be duplicated for every program running
under AmigaDos.

	And speaking of shell's.... I have been inundated with school
work and probably won't have time to finish fixes to my SHELL program.  I
am flattered that it was placed on one of the recent distribution disks,
and hope to have a new version out sometime soon.

	Thank you robp@amiga (Robert A Peck) for your posting of a
method to execute/get return values.  I will attempt to incorporate it
into my SHELL.

	Could somebody repost the way I can check for the BREAK key?
PRIORITY: I need to be able to reset the signal so I can process BREAK's
again and again, how can I do that?

				Thanks,

				-Matt