[net.micro.amiga] dpaint backup?!

cjhoward@watnot.UUCP (Caleb J. Howard) (03/28/86)

Hi there:
         Does anyone out there know what's happening with the Deluxe Paint
backup disks?  I sent a money order out 2 months ago to EA as I was instructed
to on the packaging.  That was two months ago.  I am now without the original
due to the copy protection objecting to the modification of the startup picture
(The book says this is not advised, it didn't say anything about it being
terminal).  Soo, I spent $130.00+ for a disk and a backup, I used the disk for
a week and it died, and I've seen naught of the backup.  I'm really irritated.
ECA make some excellent software, and then spoil it with overzealous protection
and non-existant follow-up service.  I want my backup Dammit!! (and a
replacement for the auto-destructive original)
Any information about the current state of affairs regarding EA's policy on
backups would be appreciated greatly.

              Thanks in advance,
                                Caleb J. Howard
                                !watmath!watnot!cjhoward

The above are my opinions, but they are for sale at reasonable prices.

fnf@unisoft.UUCP (Fred Fish) (03/30/86)

I just got a copy of Marauder (spelling?) at the local MicroAge store
yesterday, for $39.  It has backed up every EA title I have thown at
it so far, including Deluxe Paint, Artic Fox, and Sky Fox.  A cursory
use of the backup copies show no problems, so far anyway, so I guess
it really does work.

-Fred

mwm@ucbopal.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll be mellow when I'm dead) Meyer) (04/01/86)

In article <37@unisoft.UUCP> fnf@unisoft.UUCP () writes:
>I just got a copy of Marauder (spelling?) at the local MicroAge store
>yesterday, for $39.  It has backed up every EA title I have thown at
>it so far, including Deluxe Paint, Artic Fox, and Sky Fox.  A cursory
>use of the backup copies show no problems, so far anyway, so I guess
>it really does work.
>
>-Fred

Yup, it works like a charm. Everything I've found that didn't seem to work
right on the Marauder copy worked identically on the original.

However, it's *STILL* hazardous to write on the copy. I destroyed a few
before I caught on to what was going on.

	<mike

perry@leopard.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (04/02/86)

You hit the line eating bug! -- more --

Marauder works well most  of the  time but is very dependent upon drive
speeds. From what I've been told, the incoming line voltage will affect
the drive rotational speed. If  your line voltage is off by enough then
Marauder will not work.

As with all back-up programs  always  verify  the copy you've made is a
good one before you rest easier (believing that your software is safe).

In two or three months the people who brought you the Clone Machine for
the 64 will introduce their product for the Amiga. From what I hear, it
doesn't need those funny numbers that Marauder does.

I also have heard that the  Amiga Clone Machine will have a lot of use-
ful functionality (automagic disk  repair  a la fsck etc) that Marauder
doesn't have (yet).

The above is pure gossip overheard from good sources.

Perry S. Kivolowitz