[net.sf-lovers] female authors, feminist works

mooremj@eglin-vax (10/22/85)

From: "MARTIN J. MOORE" <mooremj@eglin-vax>

>From: Caro.PA@Xerox.ARPA
>For a man, Tiptree sure writes strong female characters well.  I
>also enjoy the upbeat endings that his novels always have.
>* Witch World, etc., by Andre Norton
>Another male writer who espouses feminist views.  His female
>characters are also very well written.

Let me be the Nth to point out that both Tiptree and Norton are female.

>Others have suggested that John Norman's Gor series treat women in a
>radically different way than most other authors, but I haven't had a
>chance to read any of those books.

Well, that's true; however, I don't really think the Gor books are what
the original requestor had in mind.  The society of Gor is *extremely*
male-dominated.  I read the first 2 or 3 of these when they came out,
and thought they were written tongue-in-cheek, but gradually came to the
conclusion that they weren't; this is one case where I believe the author
really *is* saying what his characters say.

My recommendation for an excellent feminist novel is _Native_Tongue_ by
Suzette Haden Elgin.  Elgin's Ozark Trilogy (_Twelve_Fair_Kingdoms_,
_The_Grand_Jubilee, and _And_Then_There'll_Be_Fireworks_) also have very
strong female protagonists (and are a lot of fun, to boot!)

                                  marty moore (mooremj@eglin-vax.arpa)
------