[net.micro.amiga] Avatex 1200-baud modem

brent@orsvax1.UUCP (Brent Chivers) (03/27/86)

Does anyone know anything about the Avatex modem, made by E & E Datacom?
(This is the modem Megatronics is selling for $109 in Amiga World.)  The
price is fantastic, but is the product OK?
--
-------------
Brent Chivers	ORS Automation, Inc	allegra!princeton!orsvax1!brent

ted@inmet.UUCP (04/02/86)

I just purchased one of these modems (1200 baud) the other day.  It seems
to work just fine.  The only problem with mine is that the power button sticks
somewhat, but I think it will loosen up with use.
  My only real concern with this modem is that the power supply ( it does'nt use
the phone line power, unfortunately ) does seem to get very warm, which could
give it a shorter life expectancy, I think.  It does seem to be HAYES compatible
in that it does behave like the HAYES modem.  I like it, and I'll scream if it
messes up.

brent@orsvax1.UUCP (Brent Chivers) (04/11/86)

> The only problem with mine is that the power button sticks
> somewhat, but I think it will loosen up with use.

I received my Avatex 1200 earlier in the week, and mine also
has a sticking power switch.  I think it's not quite centered
in the front-panel hole, but it's a minor problem and I won't
bother with corrective surgery until the warranty expires.
(It's aready loosening up on its own.)

The modem lacks quite a few HAYES commands, but the only one I
might miss is the "+++" escape.  There seems to be no way for
the local computer to break the phone connection.  This is no
problem when a person is sitting there and can push a switch, but
it means your computer shouldn't make calls unattended unless the
remote system is smart enough to drop the line at the proper point.

I also miss having a built-in speaker, but I'll learn to live without
it.  (It helps only when things DON'T work!)  For $99, I'm satisfied.
--
Brent Chivers		allegra!princeton!orsvax1!brent		or perhaps
ORS Automation, Inc	seismo!caip!topaz!pyrnj!orsvax1!brent

jmpiazza@sunybcs.UUCP (Joseph M. Piazza) (04/15/86)

In article <257@orsvax1.UUCP> brent@orsvax1.UUCP (Brent Chivers) writes:
>> The only problem with mine is that the power button sticks
>> somewhat, but I think it will loosen up with use.
>
>I received my Avatex 1200 earlier in the week, and mine also
>has a sticking power switch.  I think it's not quite centered
>in the front-panel hole, but it's a minor problem and I won't
>bother with corrective surgery until the warranty expires.
>(It's aready loosening up on its own.)

  I've had mine for a week and I have no problems with any of the
buttons but there is a slight but noticable gap in one of the corners
between the top and bottom of the case.

>...For $99, I'm satisfied.

  I got mine officaly for $150 form my local dealer but included a
cable.  They also threw in Online!, which though not spectacular, does
about everything you'd want it to, for another $50.  That's $200 for
1200 baud modem, cable, and communication softwere -- not bad at all.

Flip side,

	joe piazza