[net.sf-lovers] Gor and women, Female authors with 'male' names

RTaylor.9993iLONS@RADC-MULTICS.ARPA (10/22/85)

From: "     Roz     " <RTaylor@RADC-MULTICS.ARPA>

>    Date: 16 Oct 85 13:15:17 PDT (Wednesday)
>    From: Caro.PA@Xerox.ARPA
>    Subject: Re: feminist sf/fantasy
>    To: smithcollege%umass-ece.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
>
>    Here are my favorites:
>
>    * The Screwfly Solution, James Tiptree Jr.
>    For a man, Tiptree sure writes strong female characters well.  I
>    also enjoy the upbeat endings that his novels always have.

SORRY, SOMEONE JUST SAID 'JAMES TIPTREE JR.' (PREVIOUS ISSUE) WAS A WOMAN--DO
WE KNOW (ON "AUTHORITY") WHO IS CORRECT?

>    * Witch World, etc., by Andre Norton
>    Another male writer who espouses feminist views.  His female
>    characters are also very well written.

SHE HAS BEEN MY FAVORITE SF AUTHOR FOR ABOUT 26+ YEARS (SHE AUTHORED MY FIRST
SF BOOK).  I BELIEVE SHE ALSO WROTE UNDER THE NAME OF ANDREW NORTH (SOMEONE
PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG) FOR A WHILE AS WELL.

>    Others have suggested that John Norman's Gor series treat women in a
>    radically different way than most other authors, but I haven't had a
>    chance to read any of those books.

SORRY, COMMODORE PERRY, IF I WERE A FEMINIST OR WANTED FEMALE CHARACTERS
PORTRAYING WOMEN AS SOMETHING OTHER THAN PROPERTY, THE GOR SERIES WOULD BE LOW
(VERY!) ON MY LIST OF READING.  Please bear with me, I've not read a Gor book
since 1977 or 1976.  I read the first 4 or 5 books in the series and a few
others later.  (I wanted to see if they had improved since I had last read
them).  John Norman and the Gor books stick vividly in my mind because prior
to reading them, I had never read material which I had considered as
pronographic before [yes, I've read Ovid's _Metamorphoses_, and Heinlein's
_Glory Road_, but not _Playboy_, et al.  Please remember, I had a conservative
upbringing and led (lead?) a very sheltered life!].  In a way, (and
considering my age at the time, etc) they were fun, in part--but I also found
them depressing!  My comments ranged, in the 2nd & following books, from "I've
got to finish this book to see how the hero solves this--Norman must have some
twist to the end, NO hero is that stupid, that consistently" to "Norman must
have some weird ideas about women to portray them consistently as 'slaves
waiting for their master to fullfil them--even the free women secretly want to
be slaves'".
    As I recall his characters and society were relatively consistent (for the
ones I read), and I will admit thinking "oh, that's an interesting premise" or
"that woman doesn't fit his mold [but she did, later]", but only those generic
comments come to mind--not the specifics as with his characterizations of the
hero and the women.  Please feel free to 'educate' me if I have missed
something, and am putting Norman's Gor books down unnecessarily.
                                     Roz