[net.sf-lovers] SF-LOVERS Digest V10 #409

EVAN@SU-CSLI.ARPA (10/22/85)

From: Evan Kirshenbaum <evan@SU-CSLI.ARPA>

>For a man, Tiptree sure writes strong female characters well....
>* Witch World, etc., by Andre Norton
>Another male writer who espouses feminist views.

Um, I hate to break this to you, but both Tiptree and Norton are female.

>I've found Piers Anthony to be an author who, unlike many others,
>has no problem at all with feminist doctrine.

I assume you forgot the :-)

>Others have suggested that John Norman's Gor series treat women in a
>radically different way than most other authors, but I haven't had a
>chance to read any of those books.

"Different" is the operative word.  As in "nobody else gets away with
such sexist trash".  In all fairness, the first book is excellent and
doesn't foreshadow his future treatment of women.  I've heard that the
first seven are good and the last thirty-odd are trash.  (I read a random
sample in the teens and twenties (three of them), and it really took
some arm twisting for a friend to convince me to read the first one).

Evan Kirshenbaum
ARPA: evan@SU-CSLI
UUCP: {ucbvax|decvax}!decwrl!glacier!evan

-------

BARD@MIT-XX.ARPA (10/22/85)

From: Bard Bloom <BARD@MIT-XX.ARPA>

> Chuq Von Rospach writes:
> that goes "Imagine if you can -- and you will need a fertile
> imagination indeed -- a one-tonne angry boar hog with sharp tushes
> and mean dispositions."
>
> I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be sat upon by that
> animal..... You don't suppose they really meant tusks, do you???
> *giggle*

Not to spoil your fun or anything, but ``tush'' is a slightly rare variant
on ``tusk''.  You don't even need to look in the Oxford English Dictionary
to find it -- my American Heritage Dictionary of All But the Most
Interesting English Words has it.
Some authors who use pre-20th-century language (E.R. Eddison I
know, probably Dunsany and Cabell) use the word.

>  (Gordon Letwin, who is someone else, asks:)
>  I'm looking for the title/author of a SF-fantasy novel in which a
>  modern man encounters the Norse mythical gods (while he's freezing
>  to death, I think.)  He's carried across the Bifrost where they're
>  getting ready for Ragnarok - the final battle with the Frost Giants.
>  He helps them defeat the FG's with an atomic bomb...

I can't remember the title -- something with a horn in it I think --  but
the author was Poul Anderson, and the year 1957 suggests itself.  I remember
reading it and wondering if it was the same Poul Anderson.

> I thought it was a good read when I was 14, and I'd like to try it
> again.

(-8 Well, I hope you're not much older than fourteen now. 8-)  I thought it was
pretty silly; but I was too old to enjoy fun things at the time.

Bard the Anthro Gargoyle
-------