[net.micro.amiga] 79 columns?

prindle@nadc (04/18/86)

From: prindle@NADC

Not being an Amiga owner, I can't imagine what is this obsession with 79 column
terminal emulators!???  Who in his right mind would buy a terminal emulator
that was missing a column?  640 pixels across the bit map should exactly support
80 characters, each in an 8 bit wide field.  What gives?
Frank Prindle
Prindle@NADC.arpa

	I agree.... I see no reason to use '79 columns'.... I simply open
the window without border's or border gadgets and WHALLA..... 80 columns....

Additionaly, by using the console driver, and telling it the first usable
pix. row is 8 (it defaults to 9), I get 24 rows...... WHALLA, a real terminal.

	... Now, if only Amiga went with a custom screen w/ larger screen area
.. oh well.

					-Matt

In article <8604192154.AA10066@cory> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>Additionaly, by using the console driver, and telling it the first usable
>pix. row is 8 (it defaults to 9), I get 24 rows...... WHALLA, a real terminal.
                                                       ^^^^^^
I believe the word is 'voila' with an accent over the a (where's that darn
accent key again?).  Not a spelling flame, just a FYI.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
#  cadovax!keithd@ucla-locus.arpa

mykes@3comvax.UUCP (Mike Schwartz) (04/21/86)

In article <8604192154.AA10066@cory> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

>	I agree.... I see no reason to use '79 columns'.... I simply open
>the window without border's or border gadgets and WHALLA..... 80 columns....
>
>Additionaly, by using the console driver, and telling it the first usable
>pix. row is 8 (it defaults to 9), I get 24 rows...... WHALLA, a real terminal.
>
>	... Now, if only Amiga went with a custom screen w/ larger screen area
>.. oh well.
>
>					-Matt

If you open a 640x400 window, you can still use the console.device AND you
get full ANSI (change them Amiga Termcap's to 48 lines, please...) and
almost two screens tall worth of text at a time.  I use it in my homebrew
terminal program, and it works fine.  Just one thing to keep in mind, at
640x400, it takes almost 2x longer than normal to repaint the entire screen
with text.