[net.micro.amiga] Audio A/D input to the Amiga.

neil@amiga.UUCP (Neil Katin) (04/22/86)

In article <407@muddcs.UUCP> mstark@muddcs.UUCP (Michael Stark) writes:
>     I am interested in doing A/D conversion of a signal so I can manipulate
>it with my Amiga as cheaply as possible.  In the reference manual, the
>pinout for the serial port lists pin 16 as "Audio into Amiga."  Clearly,
>if some A/D conversion can be done by the Amiga's custom chips, this will
>be the way to go.  Unfortuanately, the only reference that I can find
>to this capability is in the pinout charts.  Commodore-Amiga makes no
>discussion of this capability in any of the manuals I have seen of this
>capability.
>     I wonder if anyone has gone so far as to figure this mysterious
>pin 16 out.  Is it included for possible future use?  Can I do A/D
>conversion now without any hardware modificaion?
>
>Mike Stark
>MSTARK@YMIR.BITNET
>{ucbvax!ucla-cs!}muddcs!ymir!mstark

The "AUDIO IN" pin does not go to a digitizer (oh how we all wish it did!).
Instead it is routed directly to one of the speakers.

It was intended for an amiga branded modem -- the modem
would put the phone signal out to the "audio in" pin,
which would end up outputing to the speaker.  This way
the modem would not need its own speaker.

Sorry to disapoint...

    Neil Katin
    Commodore Amiga Inc.