[net.micro.amiga] IconEd--help with shrinking the frame?

sdl@mitre-bedford.ARPA (04/21/86)

From: sdl@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Steven D. Litvintchouk)

I am a (relatively) new Amiga owner.  I have been trying to create
icons with the icon editor (IconEd).  But since it isn't documented in
the documentation that comes with the Amiga, I'm hoping that someone
may help me with the following problem.

When I create an icon, its default size is the entire frame.  So the
name of the tool it invokes appears way below the icon.  Does anyone
know how to shrink the border around the icon so that the name of the
tool will appear right  below it?  There are two cryptic menu options
that may be involved:  "Set Bottom Border," which has submenu options
of 1 and 0; and "Frame and Save," which doesn't seem to do anything.

Thansx very much in advace.

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730
(617)271-7753

ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford
UUCP:  ...{allegra,decvax,genrad,ihnp4,philabs,security,utzoo}!linus!sdl

hull@hao.UUCP (Howard Hull) (04/22/86)

> From: sdl@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Steven D. Litvintchouk)
> When I create an icon, its default size is the entire frame.  So the
> name of the tool it invokes appears way below the icon.  Does anyone
> know how to shrink the border around the icon so that the name of the
> tool will appear right  below it?
Lemmesee.  Select the Frame and Save gadget with the mouse arrow and left
button.  Then move the arrow to the upper left of the desired part of the
sketched icon in the large work area, press and hold the right mouse button.
While holding the button, move the mouse arrow to the lower right of the
desired part of the sketched icon (you should be now dragging with the
arrow a frame outline provided by the icon edit software).  As soon as
you let go of the button, the editor will write the edited icon to the
specified file (or complain about why it couldn't).
> [Also...]                          There are two cryptic menu options
> that may be involved:  "Set Bottom Border," which has submenu options
> of 1 and 0;
Yeah.  Me too.  What *does* this option do, anyway?
> Steven Litvintchouk
								Howard Hull
[If yet unproven concepts are outlawed in the range of discussion...
                   ...Then only the deranged will discuss yet unproven concepts]
	{ucbvax!hplabs | decvax!noao | mcvax!seismo | ihnp4!seismo} !hao!hull

randy@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Randy Weiner) (04/22/86)

In article <1973@caip.RUTGERS.EDU> sdl@mitre-bedford.ARPA writes:
>When I create an icon, its default size is the entire frame.  So the
>name of the tool it invokes appears way below the icon.  Does anyone
>know how to shrink the border around the icon so that the name of the
>tool will appear right  below it?  There are two cryptic menu options
>that may be involved:  "Set Bottom Border," which has submenu options
>of 1 and 0; and "Frame and Save," which doesn't seem to do anything.

  Frame and Save allows you to specify the actual frame of the icon.
To use it, merely select Frame and save, then move the pointer to
the upper left-corner of the desired frame. Now click the left-button
and move the pointer to the lower right corner -- notice a "rubber-band"
is drawn marking your frame. Click again (when you are happy with the
results) and off it goes. To cancel, just in case the starting point
was wrong, move the pointer to your selected left corner and click. The
frame disappears.

Use the Workbench menu item "info" to examine/change/set
other parameters in the .info file. CAUTION: to use "info", the
object (of the .info file) MUST exist. That is, there must be a file
(without the .info extension) with the SAME NAME as the icon.

--
Randy Weiner -- Commodore Business Machines <<Amiga Technical Support>>
		uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!randy

bobp@amiga.UUCP (Robert S. Pariseau) (04/23/86)

The icon editor is, in fact, documented in your Introduction to Amiga
manual.  If you got your V1.1 software as an upgrade kit, you will find
the Icon editor stuff in "Appendix E" in the "Introduction to Amiga
Appendix Addendum".  Otherwise it will be built into the book already.

The correct way to reduce the space taken up by the icon is to use
the Frame and Save option when you save the icon.  After selecting
Frame and Save use the Selection (left) mouse button to mark the
upper left and lower right corners of the frame around your icon image
in the magnified view of the icon image -- that is click once at the
upper left corner of the desired frame, then click again at the lower
right corner.

spencer@usc-oberon.UUCP (Randy Spencer) (04/23/86)

> > Does anyone
> > know how to shrink the border around the icon so that the name of the
> > tool will appear right  below it?
> Lemmesee.  Select the Frame and Save gadget with the mouse arrow and left
> button.  Then move the arrow to the upper left of the desired part of the
> sketched icon in the large work area, press and hold the right mouse button.
> While holding the button, move the mouse arrow to the lower right of the
> desired part of the sketched icon (you should be now dragging with the
> arrow a frame outline provided by the icon edit software).  As soon as
> you let go of the button, the editor will write the edited icon to the
> specified file (or complain about why it couldn't).

I mention this because it has always annoyed me to death about Iconed.  You
don't point to the upper left edge and click and the drage the frame around,
you point, click, and *release*.  The frame will not appear until you do
release.  I never want to because I have been trained the other way.  Well,
in fact you simply point, click, release and the click again when you are
where you want to be.  Just thought I would mention it.

PS, who has working Kermit?  Cu20b is supposed to have the file ckaker.boo
in the Ker: directory, but I can't find it.  Anybody got any kermits out
there?

thanks...
Randal Spencer  - Student DEC Consulting -   University of Southern California
....I disclaim everything, I had nothing to do with it, it's not my fault!....
(213) 743-5363  UUCP...!{uscvax,sdcrdcf,engvax,scgvaxd,smeagol}!oberon!spencer
Arpa: Spencer@USC-ECL  or  Spencer@USC-Oberon          Bitnet: Spencer@USCVAXQ
Home: 937 N. Beverly Glen Bl. Bel Air California 90077          (213) 470-0428

bruceb@amiga.UUCP (Bruce Barrett) (04/24/86)

In article <2068@hao.UUCP> hull@hao.UUCP (Howard Hull) writes:
>> [Also...]                          There are two cryptic menu options
>> that may be involved:  "Set Bottom Border," which has submenu options
>> of 1 and 0;
>Yeah.  Me too.  What *does* this option do, anyway?

# of blank lines between the bottom of the Icon and the top of
its name.
--Bruce Barrett