[net.micro.amiga] Questions from a New Amiga buyer

JIM%UCF1VM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU (04/16/86)

From: Jim Ennis  <JIM%UCF1VM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>

Hello,

 I will be buying an amiga in the next couple of weeks and I was wondering
which is the best (least bugs etc) compiler to buy. Also, would using the
second Amiga drive increase the performance  (ease of use and speed) of
the C compiler? Please send answers to my address so the net is not
cluttered up and thanks for the help.

Jim Ennis
JIM%UCF1VM.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA

acs@amdahl (04/25/86)

In article <243@intelca.UUCP> cem@intelca.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:

> For most people having two disk drives is *essential* for development
> work. However, it is possible to write code on just one but very
> difficult (is that a strong enough suggestion to get the extra drive?)

I recently acquired the Manx compiler and, with 512K and 1 drive, don't
find it difficult in the slightest!  Judicious copying of commands to RAM:,
the use of the RAM-disk for my source and c.lib, a slightly modified
version of the shipped C disk (volume 1) to include the 32-bit libraries
and exclude a number of the commands that I don't need (since I'm not
booting the C disk) means that I do 1 disk swap to compile/link and
another to return to my boot disk.  Admittedly, I haven't really gotten off
on anything really *large* (e.g. MicroEMACS3.5) but the things that I'm
working on (2-4 source files per "program") don't cause me any bother at
all.
--
Tony Sumrall                    ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,seismo,sun}!amdahl!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]