[net.micro.amiga] source code for Amiga is not much good?

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (04/22/86)

In article <1458@tekgvs.UUCP>, keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (Keith Ericson) writes:
> (Note: of course I'd rather have the source, but with the Amiga and
> the various incompatible C compilers, the source may not be of much
> use anyway! :-) )

Great.  Let's all just do out programming and distribution in binary
and ignore this problem in the hope that it will go away.

Uh.....

How about leaning hard on the vendors by not buying the trash they
are shipping until they ship a compatible one that generates good,
bug-free code?  If there is no product on the market that does that,
you could sell your Amiga until someone produces one.  (I doubt Amiga
prices will go *up*, so it's better to sell it than to leave it idle.
You can always buy another one later, probably for cheaper.)

By compatible I mean:

	* Compatible with Unix C and libraries -- so you can take
	  the average public domain Unix C program and it will compile
	with no more trouble than it would take to compile it on a
	Unix system it wasn't written on.

	* Compatible with the C supplied by Amiga to developers --
	  so it matches the Amiga header files and libraries for access
	to Amiga-specific routines.

	* Has a vendor that's committed to fixing compatability problems
	  ASAP.

If people deferred buying (or sold) their Amigas, I can bet Commodore
would sit up and take notice and procure a decent compiler.
--
John Gilmore  {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu   jgilmore@lll-crg.arpa

mykes@3comvax.UUCP (Mike Schwartz) (04/23/86)

In article <722@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>In article <1458@tekgvs.UUCP>, keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (Keith Ericson) writes:
>> (Note: of course I'd rather have the source, but with the Amiga and
>> the various incompatible C compilers, the source may not be of much
>> use anyway! :-) )
>
>Great.  Let's all just do out programming and distribution in binary
>and ignore this problem in the hope that it will go away.

Anyone know of a 'C' compiler for the Amiga that is not compatible with
the Amiga 'C' compiler (lattice)?  I own Manx, and it has a few bugs, but
it is compatible for almost every source posted to this newsgroup so far.
As a matter of fact, my distribution disk cam with the sources to a lot of
public domain stuff from the Fred Fish disks - all work fine.  Now either
someone spent a lot of time converting these sources to make them compile
with Manx, or Manx is truly compatible.  I use the +l option on the compiler
most of the time.

rico@oscvax.UUCP (Rico Mariani) (04/25/86)

In article <478@3comvax.UUCP> mykes@3comvax.UUCP (Mike Schwartz) writes:
>In article <722@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>>In article <1458@tekgvs.UUCP>, keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (Keith Ericson) writes:
>>> (Note: of course I'd rather have the source, but with the Amiga and
>>> the various incompatible C compilers, the source may not be of much
>>> use anyway! :-) )
>>
>>Great.  Let's all just do out programming and distribution in binary
>>and ignore this problem in the hope that it will go away.
>>

>Anyone know of a 'C' compiler for the Amiga that is not compatible with
>the Amiga 'C' compiler (lattice)?  I own Manx, and it has a few bugs, but
>it is compatible for almost every source posted to this newsgroup so far.
>As a matter of fact, my distribution disk cam with the sources to a lot of
>public domain stuff from the Fred Fish disks - all work fine.  Now either
>someone spent a lot of time converting these sources to make them compile
>with Manx, or Manx is truly compatible.  I use the +l option on the compiler
>most of the time.

My experience with Manx is much the same as Mike's, I've compiled many
programs which are designed for Lattice 3.03 with no trouble using
Aztec C.  I use the +l option (makes int's 32 bits wide instead of 16)
on just about everything that's posted (I don't use it for things that
I write myself).

The only compatability problem that I've found is that there are
functions in the Lattice library that aren't in the Aztec library and
vice-versa.  Normally this just means I call up a friend of mine and
say "Chris, what does <lattice-function> do?", then I code it.  I think
I had to re-code "stpblk" and "stci_d" (or something like that).  Both
of the were *very* trivial (and I can add them to my c.lib file if I
ever get the urge).  I started out using Lattice when that's all there
was, but now that I've used Manx, I'm not going back.

	-Rico

		...{allegra|ihnp4|watmath|decvax|linus}!utzoo!oscvax!rico

DISCLAIMER:  Leave the Science Centre alone, they didn't mean it.