[net.micro.amiga] uuencode/decode flames

moorel@eglin-vax (04/22/86)

From: <moorel@eglin-vax>

Folks, these flames about binary encoded sources are getting both ridiculous
and beyond the bounds of good taste. The fact remains that this newsgroup does
not go out only on USENET but on ARPAnet and several other networks, some of
which do not have the ability to deal directly with binary encoded sources. In
particular, a lot of sites on the ARPAnet get the newsletter on a large or
semi- secure system, and cannot hook an Amiga directly to the net. At our site,
there is insufficient money in the budget for a modem/comm package, and I am
currently downloading source files I want to the mainframe printer, then TYPING
them into the Amiga by hand. If you want binary encoded source files, make them
available in a separate direct- ory for those who can/want them, ok? There's
too much traffic on this remail list for a long string of "who says..."/"says
you..." flames...

	Lynne C. Moore <moorel@eglin-vax.arpa>
------

keithe@tekgvs (04/29/86)

In article <1986@caip.RUTGERS.EDU> moorel@eglin-vax writes:

>Folks, these flames about binary encoded sources are getting both ridiculous
>and beyond the bounds of good taste. The fact remains that...[some readers]
>...do not have the ability to deal directly with binary encoded sources. In
>particular, a lot of sites on the ARPAnet get the newsletter on a large or
>semi- secure system, and cannot hook an Amiga directly to the net.
>                             If you want binary encoded source files, make them
>available in a separate direct- ory for those who can/want them, ok?

So, what does it take to get net.micro.amiga.binary? Many of us *can* use the
binaries and are willing to "put up with" them, OK. But a separate group for
them makes sense, too. (Please send all follow-ups to net.news.group.)

keith