[net.micro.amiga] Amiga Kermit Executable

tim@noscvax.UUCP (Tim W. Wadsworth) (05/03/86)

*****************************

Below is an excerpt from a Kermit Digest which was posted about 3 or 4
weeks ago.

I have this version of Kermit running on my Amiga, and it is usable, if
not especially exciting.  It is an emasculated (no sex discrimination
flames, please) adaptation of a very good version (C-Kermit), and, if
and/or when the sources become available, it shouldn't be long until the
expert Amiga hackers have it looking as good as the Mac version (VT102
emulation with menus).

The files on CU20B are:

KER:CKAKER.BOO  (about 150K)
KER:CKAKER.BWR  (less than 5K, I think)
KER:CKAKER.HLP  (        "            )
KER:MSBPCT.C    (about 4K)

I had some trouble with FTP connections to Columbia (it took two tries to
get a good copy of the "BOO" file), and the conversion program (MSBPCT.C)
didn't work as is (possibly because I'm not too familiar with using C yet),
but it eventually got going, and I've been using it for about two weeks.
I apologize to those who aren't on the ARPANET, since I don't know how they
can get ahold of this (I don't think posting an encoded ~150K file would
be greatly appreciated, but I don't know enough about that to be sure).

Tim Wadsworth

Naval Ocean Systems Center                       tim@nosc.ARPA
Code 444 (Artificial Intelligence Branch)        tim@cod.nosc.MIL
271 Catalina Blvd.                               tim@cod.UUCP
San Diego, CA 92152-5000                         tim@noscvax.UUCP
                                                 ucbvax!sdcsvax!noscvax!tim
(619) 225-7778

Date: 24 MAR 86 15:41-EST
>From: DPVC@UORDBV.BITNET
Subject: Amiga Kermit Executable

I am sending you a file called CKAKER.BOO, which is the Amiga Kermit executable
in BOO format.  I also include my version of MSBPCT.C, which should translate
it back into the executable.

This version is a PRE-RELEASE version.  I am sending it so that you can test
it, and send me any comments you may have.  I am getting the sources in shape
to send, but it is taking longer than I thought it would (doesn't it always?).

Right now, the known problems/deficiencies are:

        1)  Wildcards are not allowed in filenames
        2)  No LOCAL commands are supported (DIRECTORY, CWD, etc.)
        3)  No DIAL or login scripts
        4)  The SERVER mode only does GET, SEND, BYE, FINISH and REMOTE HELP
        5)  No XON/XOFF flow control
        6)  REMOTE HELP messages go to the DOS window, not the KERMIT window
            (in fact, they don't show up until you exit from Kermit)
        7)  The program thinks the window is 80 columns wide, when, in fact,
            it is only about 76 columns wide (it can be resized to be even
            smaller)
        8)  No terminal emulation (just a dumb terminal in CONNECT mode)
        9)  File transactions all report elapsed time of 0 seconds (although
            timeouts work properly)

That's all I can think of right now.  Please let me know if you come up with
any other problems or improvements.

You should receive 2 files:  CKAKER.BOO and MSBPCT.C

                                        Davide

[Ed. - Thanks!  These files are in KER:CKAKER.* and KER:MSBPCT.C.]