[net.micro.amiga] File Handler's, Memory Solutions

	Probably the best thing for AmigaDos right now would be a sector
cache, implimented at the trackdisk level (or something like that)... You
simply cannot make assumptions about the file system in a volitile system like
this.  The sector cache, of course, would not exist for the ram disk.

	The Amiga is notorious for not being nice to the poor user when it runs
out of memory.  I suggest another call be added that the system can make on
devices, etc.... requesting them to get rid of any data they don't need (e.g.
like a cache) because the system is running out of memory.  For instance:

	The disk-driver can flush it's cache (when it gets one)
	The serial device can decrease the size of it's buffer
	Inuition can do lot's of neat things... like disallow window moves AND
		deallocate memory used for the purpose of window moves (I'm
		just guessing here)

	Most importantly, the system should return 'Fails' to user processes
which request memory when there is less than, say, 10% memory left (that way,
the system isn't likely to run out of memory at a critical time)

				-Matt

bruceb@amiga.UUCP (Bruce Barrett) (05/01/86)

In article <8604301613.AA07782@cory> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
> [...]
>	Most importantly, the system should return 'Fails' to user processes
>which request memory when there is less than, say, 10% memory left (that way,
>the system isn't likely to run out of memory at a critical time)
>
>				-Matt
:-) What a great idea! (-:  ...except that "the system" doesn't know if it is
the user or "the system" requesting the memory.  Thank you but I don't
think ignoring 891,289 bytes of RAM on a 8.5 meg machine is useful.  The
system, although not perfect does its best (so far) to exit from low
memory conditions gracefully.  For example windows stop moving and sizing.
We are working to mak this even better and more robust.
--Bruce Barrett

james@uw-june (James Synge) (05/04/86)

In article <1069@amiga.amiga.UUCP>, bruceb@amiga.UUCP (Bruce Barrett) writes:
> In article <8604301613.AA07782@cory> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
> > [...]
> >	Most importantly, the system should return 'Fails' to user processes
> >which request memory when there is less than, say, 10% memory left (that way,
> >the system isn't likely to run out of memory at a critical time)
> >
> >				-Matt
> :-) What a great idea! (-:  ...except that "the system" doesn't know if it is
> the user or "the system" requesting the memory.  Thank you but I don't
> think ignoring 891,289 bytes of RAM on a 8.5 meg machine is useful.  The
> system, although not perfect does its best (so far) to exit from low
> memory conditions gracefully.  For example windows stop moving and sizing.
> We are working to mak this even better and more robust.
> --Bruce Barrett
Agreed! We can't expect the system to successfully implement a policy we can
not really figure out the details of ourselves: which programs are "system"
and which are "user"? And when is the system asking for memory because of
an action a user program asked for.

Our programs must be VERY careful not to hog resources when they aren't
really needed, and must check the returned results. To do otherwise is
foolish and not very portable (like to a next generation machine).

-- James M Synge