[net.micro.amiga] AmigaDiscount

aic@pucc-i (Craig Norborg aka Doc Pierce) (03/19/86)

ACK!

    Well folks,
    I just heard from a VERY reliable source that Commodore is going to be
having a NationWide discount on Amigas.  No, not the educational discount,
but to promote sales, for 2 months you will be able to buy your Amiga -w-
monitor for about $1495...  In effect, you get the monitor for free.
    BTW, you guys at Commodore, please confirm this rumor and also, if you
can, find out if us poor students, who trusted the word of many a people that
"No, there will be no educational discount" and "No, the price won't be going
down for quite awhile", can get at the very least the educational discount
put into effect retroactively, or, if we can maybe get a coupon worth the
amount of the discount (from the price we paid) to go to the purchase of some
AmigaMerchandise.
--
					Craig Norborg (aka Doc Pierce)
Uucp: { decvax, icalqa, ihnp4, inuxc,   sequent, uiucdcs}!pur-ee!pucc-i!aic

USnail: 910 N. 9th street
	Lafayette IN 47904

trudel@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (Jonathan D. Trudel) (03/25/86)

> From: aic@pucc-i (Craig Norborg aka Doc Pierce)
>     Well folks,
>     I just heard from a VERY reliable source that Commodore is going to be
> having a NationWide discount on Amigas.  No, not the educational discount,
> but to promote sales, for 2 months you will be able to buy your Amiga -w-
> monitor for about $1495...  In effect, you get the monitor for free.

Well, if you drop that price down to $1295, you're correct.  This was
officially announced at the last meeting of the JAUG (of which I happen
to be secretary/treasurer).  You basically buy the base Amiga, and get the
RGB monitor for free (no idea which monitor though, probably the 1080).  This
was announced by the east coast distributor for Commodore, and I'm told that
the pricing will remain in effect until the middle of May.

>     BTW, you guys at Commodore, please confirm this rumor and also, if you
> can, find out if us poor students, who trusted the word of many a people that
> "No, there will be no educational discount" and "No, the price won't be going
> down for quite awhile", can get at the very least the educational discount
> put into effect retroactively, or, if we can maybe get a coupon worth the
> amount of the discount (from the price we paid) to go to the purchase of some
> AmigaMerchandise.

Unfortunately, the educational discount will not work along with the package
deal described above.  As for asking about price drops, of course they won't
tell you the price will drop in the future.  They want sales now.  This is
true of any product where you'd expect price decreases.  The reasoning is that
if you wait till a price decrease, they don't make a sale at the higher price.
Fortunately for me, I don't have enough money to afford an Amiga.  College
students can't afford much these days...
--
Jonathan D. Trudel		arpa: trudel@blue.rutgers.edu
				uucp:{seismo,allegra,ihnp4}!topaz!blue!trudel

Personally, I like my flying brains dark and evil.

srp@houligan.UUCP (Steve Pietrowicz) (04/04/86)

Actually the price on the Amiga discount is $1295, and you have to
buy the Amiga 1000 and Monitor together to get for that price.

As for other rumors:

Amiga will be bundling the Amiga Transformer software with the 5.25 drive
for $200.

 or

Amiga will be bundling the accel. hardware with the software and drive to
turn your Amiga into an IBM AT.

I've heard both of these, and don't know if either is true.   We'll have
to see what happens at COMDEX I guess....

--
S. R. Pietrowicz   UUCP: ...!ihnp4!pur-ee!csd-gould!houligan!srp

keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (Keith Ericson) (04/08/86)

In article <359@houligan.UUCP> srp@houligan.UUCP (Steve Pietrowicz) writes:

>As for other rumors:
>

>Amiga will be bundling the accel. hardware with the software and drive to
>turn your Amiga into an IBM AT.

Last I heard the accelerator hardware had been canelled. I confirmed
this with my dealer and subsequently cancelled my order for it.

keith

srp@houligan.UUCP (Steve Pietrowicz) (04/30/86)

>In article <359@houligan.UUCP> srp@houligan.UUCP (Steve Pietrowicz) writes:
>>
>>As for other rumors:
>>

>>Amiga will be bundling the accel. hardware with the software and drive to
>>turn your Amiga into an IBM AT.
>>
>Last I heard the accelerator hardware had been canelled. I confirmed
>this with my dealer and subsequently cancelled my order for it.
>
>keith

Well, go rattle your dealers cage.   CBM announced yesterday at Comdex the
hardware for the IBM emulation.  I can't remember the particulars, but knowing
the net, about 20 people will be posting the details soon....
--
S. R. Pietrowicz   UUCP: ...!ihnp4!pur-ee!gould!houligan!srp

porter@cbmvax.UUCP (05/03/86)

> >In article <359@houligan.UUCP> srp@houligan.UUCP (Steve Pietrowicz) writes:
> >>As for other rumors:
> >>
> >>Amiga will be bundling the accel. hardware with the software and drive to
> >>turn your Amiga into an IBM AT.
> >>
> >Last I heard the accelerator hardware had been canelled. I confirmed
> >this with my dealer and subsequently cancelled my order for it.
> >
> >keith

Let's see if I can put all of this to rest...

1. The Amiga Transformer (the software version) is bundled with the
   1020 disk drive (5.25") and is currently available.

2. The Accelerator that was originally developed to work with the
   above software, was cancelled when the "sidecar" was introduced.

3. The "sidecar" is a "shoebox" that attaches to the expansion port
   of the amiga.  It contains a 5.25" disk drive, three IBM expansion
   slots, BOIS ROM, and the guts to our PC-10 (our clone that sells
   in Europe and Canada).  The idea is that you can have fully
   compatible (as compatible as your phoenix BOIS will allow) IBM-PC
   operating in a window of your Amiga.  The other thing is that the
   Amiga will (not sure) be able to access the IBM card slots for
   file storage (hard disk, for example).  Also the IBM side will
   (not sure) be able to access the RS232 and centronics ports.
   The sidecar contains it's own power supply and fan.

That's it...

Jeff Porter
Commodore Engineering

bruceb@amiga.UUCP (05/05/86)

In article <397@houligan.UUCP> srp@houligan.UUCP (Steve Pietrowicz) writes:
>>In article <359@houligan.UUCP> srp@houligan.UUCP (Steve Pietrowicz) writes:
>>Last I heard the accelerator hardware had been canelled. I confirmed
>>this with my dealer and subsequently cancelled my order for it.
>>
>>keith
>
>Well, go rattle your dealers cage.   CBM announced yesterday at Comdex the
>hardware for the IBM emulation...
>--
>S. R. Pietrowicz   UUCP: ...!ihnp4!pur-ee!gould!houligan!srp

You're both right.  The hardware accelerator project was a hardware assist to
the software (transformer) project.  This has been canceled.

The "sidecar" just announced is more like an IBM-PC(tm) motherboard,
attached to the Amiga expansion buss + the software that allows your
IBM looking stuff to run as a window on the workbench screen.

(good stuff!, you'll like it.)

--Bruce Barrett, C-A