[net.micro.amiga] Another Problem with Shell v2...

breuel@h-sc1.UUCP (thomas breuel) (05/08/86)

When I execute the following command line (in the directory
df1:shell, which contains lots of '.c' files):

	type >out *.c

the shell crashes spectacularly (i.e. screen memory gets written into,
the disk drives keep running, &c.). Could someone out there confirm
that this is not just a problem with my binary, please?
Another problem that I noticed is that initially, the shell does not
seem to have an idea of its curren working directory (i.e. if you type
'echo *', the filename expansion fails).

						Thanks,
						Thomas.

fnf@unisoft.UUCP (Fred Fish) (05/08/86)

In article <1093@h-sc1.UUCP> breuel@h-sc1.UUCP (thomas breuel) writes:
>When I execute the following command line (in the directory
>df1:shell, which contains lots of '.c' files):
>
>	type >out *.c
>
>the shell crashes spectacularly (i.e. screen memory gets written into,
>the disk drives keep running, &c.). Could someone out there confirm
>that this is not just a problem with my binary, please?

I noticed something similiar in my version compiled with Manx C using
16-bit ints.  By default, I *always* use the 32-bit int mode of Manx
C first.  It has been my experience (and I've moved a lot of code to the
Amiga :-), that the 32-bit int mode is far more reliable for compiling
and successfully running large quantities of code produced by others.

*** MINOR FLAME, NOT ABOUT SHELL ***
Would people please NOT put include statements like <lattice/stdio.h>
in their sources.  Manx C got this right and put stdio.h and the like
in the main include directory.  It is easy enough to tell the compiler
to look in an implementation specific directory for files if the vendor
chooses to put files in a non-standard place.  Better yet, use something
like my cc frontend that automatically hides these things.
*** FLAME OFF ***

Thanks Matt for the nice alternate to the CLI.  I'm still waiting for
ksh though...

-Fred

Fred Fish    UniSoft Systems Inc, 739 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,lll-lcc}!unisoft!fnf	(415) 644 1230 		TWX 11 910 366-2145

bruceb@amiga.UUCP (Bruce Barrett) (05/09/86)

In article <58@unisoft.UUCP> fnf@unisoft.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
>*** MINOR FLAME, NOT ABOUT SHELL ***
>Would people please NOT put include statements like <lattice/stdio.h>
>in their sources.

Just another vote for this opinion.  If your Lattice command line looks
like:
	LC{1} <options> -i:INCLUDE/ -i:INCLUDE/lattice/ source_file
Then you don't need the "lattice/" in the #include statment.
Please leave it out.  Thank You.
--Bruce Barrett