[net.micro.amiga] Directory in AmigaDos

bruceb@amiga.UUCP (Bruce Barrett) (05/09/86)

In article <327@ethz.UUCP> claudio@ethz.UUCP (Claudio Nieder) writes:
>[...]On a UNIX or MSDOS computer you are free to type in the
>filename if you already know it, and you don't have to wait for the
>directory. On Window/Mouse-oriented programs on the Amiga you have to
>wait until the OPEN command has collected all filenames. [...]
>					claudio

I agree that what you describe on the Amiga is typical.  I think that
it's to bad also.  What there should be (my humble opinion) is a requestor
that looks like this:
			 ______________________
	Directory Path: |______________________|
	File name:      |______________________|
	____________________
	| <List Directory> |

	| file names would list in here ONLY if the   |^|
	| user selected the <List Directory> gadget   |||
	| above.  Only then would the system read the |=|
	| directory and file header blocks for the    |||
	| user.  That's what I call user friendly.    |v|

BTW the next version (1.2) does handle directories more quickly.
--Bruce Barrett