[net.micro.amiga] AMIGA DIRECTORY PRINT

sjl@ecs.OZ (Stephen Lamb) (05/06/86)

I have tried the following command to print directories and it doesn't
seem to work.  Has anyone got a solution (even a software substitute)
to this problem ?

The command is 'dir lib10: opt a to prt:' ,and the response is
'bad arguments' and consequently no redirection occurs.

Thanks in advance,

		  Stephen Lamb,

		  ACSnet :sjl@ecs.OZ

randy@cbmvax.UUCP (05/06/86)

In article <147@ecs.OZ> sjl@ecs.OZ (Stephen Lamb) writes:

>I have tried the following command to print directories and it doesn't
>seem to work.
>
>The command is 'dir lib10: opt a to prt:' ,and the response is
>'bad arguments' and consequently no redirection occurs.

   AmigaDos uses a syntax similar to UNIX for IO redirection.
The 'dir' command defaults output to stdout. The correct format
is:
	dir >prt: lib10: opt a

In general, the output redirection '>name' is placed immediately
after the DOS command.

--
     + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Randy Weiner -- Commodore Business Machines <<Amiga Technical Support>>

bruceb@amiga.UUCP (Bruce Barrett) (05/06/86)

In article <147@ecs.OZ> sjl@ecs.OZ (Stephen Lamb) writes:

>I have tried...'dir lib10: opt a to prt:' ,and the response is
>'bad arguments' ...
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>		  Stephen Lamb,
>
>		  ACSnet :sjl@ecs.OZ

Stephen,
	This is a common request for people without the AmigaDOS manuals.
The way to find out what is going on is to type:
	DIR ?
The response is:
	DIR,OPT/K: _
This means that DIR takes 2 arguments, neither is required (/A), the
second must have the "OPT" keywork in addition to the value you want to
assign to OPT (/K).  The options for DIR are A (for all) and I (for
interactive).  There is no way to determine this from the "DIR,OPT/K: _"
help line.

Redirection is done BEFORE any other other parameters.  So... what you
want is:
	DIR >prt: LIB10: opt a

This is "so easy" to do it does make one wonder why some commands (like
TYPE) have a "TO" parameter.  Must be TO confuse Austrailians :-).

To redirect input and output use:
	foo <input >output p1 p2 p3	or 	foo >output <input p1 p2 p3
--Bruce Barrett

sjl@ecs.OZ (Stephen Lamb) (05/12/86)

To all those who replied to my plea for help regarding printing the
directory, THANKS!

I have replied to most where posible, but the return path of some
was M~O~N~S~T~E~R~O~U~S.....and our machine doesn't seem to want
to know them, hence the reason for posting it here.  I know have
a couple of command formats that work.

					sjl@ecs.oz