[net.micro.amiga] OS9 for AMIGA

wagner@utcs.uucp (Michael Wagner) (05/12/86)

In article <50200012@uokvax.UUCP> emjej@uokvax.UUCP writes:

>Messages on CIS from folks at MicroTRENDS, the company marketing OS-9
>for the 520ST, say that OS-9 for the Amiga should follow shortly.  (One
>wonders what the presence of a true multitasking OS on the ST will
>do to Amiga sales.)
>
>						James Jones

My impressions, from working with the AMIGA (and RS OS9) is that it takes
much more than a multi-tasking OS to make a multi-tasking *system*.
Any OS which (for politeness) allows an application to take over the machine
will be subject to stupid developers who make the decision (for the user)
and turn the machine back into a single-application box while their
program is running.
I'm not sure what the solution is to this sort of polution.  But it sure
does cripple the future of the machine when programs are allowed to do
this (I don't just mean the future till the machine is booted..I mean the
future sales of the machine).    When a machine is sold as multi-tasking,
people build up certain expectations of what they are going to be able
to do (bring up new windows, etc) at any time.  They will be very
disappointed to find out that most of the applications they run will
prevent them from doing this.  They won't understand that it's the
applications that are pissing in the pot...they'll just understand that
"the AMIGA doesn't multitask very well".

Michael Wagner (wagner@utcs)