[net.micro.amiga] AmigaDos... commodore 1541 ?? come on!

dillon@PAVEPAWS.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (05/11/86)

	Please, let's hear no more talk on that particular drive, it gives
me a headache.  In any case, the 1541 doesn't have multiple directories.
In fact, the 1541 uses the same file format as the 2031, and 4040 (older
drives).  However, the techonological leap in the design of the 1541 is,
well.... backwards.  The 1541 is 3+ times slower than its predecessors.

	But then again, the 5 Mbyte IEEE hard disk  for the Pet, C64, etc...
only has one directory also.

	Let me say then, that it's a huge relief working with the Amiga,
and although it has problems (EVERYTHING ever made has problems except my
toothbrush), it's several order's of magnitude better than anything else
on the micro-computer market except, possibly, the IBM.

					-Matt

* The commodore 4040 disk drive was more powerful in itself than the
computers it was connected to, and still managed to be slower than
just about everything else on the market.

sjl@ecs.OZ (Stephen Lamb) (05/13/86)

In article <8605102206.AA06376@pavepaws>, dillon@PAVEPAWS.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

> 	Please, let's hear no more talk on that particular drive, it gives
> me a headache.  In any case, the 1541 doesn't have multiple directories.
> In fact, the 1541 uses the same file format as the 2031, and 4040 (older
> drives).  However, the techonological leap in the design of the 1541 is,
> well.... backwards.  The 1541 is 3+ times slower than its predecessors.
>
> 	But then again, the 5 Mbyte IEEE hard disk  for the Pet, C64, etc...
> only has one directory also.
>
> 	Let me say then, that it's a huge relief working with the Amiga,
> and although it has problems (EVERYTHING ever made has problems except my
> toothbrush), it's several order's of magnitude better than anything else
> on the micro-computer market except, possibly, the IBM.
>
> 					-Matt
>
> * The commodore 4040 disk drive was more powerful in itself than the
> computers it was connected to, and still managed to be slower than
> just about everything else on the market.

It is no slower than the 8050 or the 8250.
This device reads the disk surface at 40+ Kbytes/sec and the IEEE routines
transfer it at 1.2 Kbytes/sec.  This can be uprated to 30+ Kbytes/sec,
I have done it - look at the 9090/60 Backup system that I wrote, the
entire 7.5 Mbytes is backed up to floppy disk in <30 min.  This
includes hard disk read, floppy disk write and verify, and two fast
IEEE handshakes for EVERY sector on the disk. (29376)

Yes, I agree the 1541 is slow, but then again, it is only meant for
home computer type installations, not UNIX or the like !!

Let's keep things in perspective, huh?

DISCLAIMER : The stuff added by me is only my opinion, based on my
	     experience as a full time programmer on commodore
	     hardware.