[net.micro.amiga] Drive Death

hr@uicsl.UUCP (05/09/86)

Help!

Does anyone know where I can order an NEC FD1035 drive? (Its the
kind used in the Amiga.) My drive 0 went bellyup last night. While
the Amiga can not read the disk, it can access the drive mechanism.
But the insuing noises lead me to believe the problem is mechanical.
I was able to switch drives 0 & 1 so I can at least boot.

I've had my 8" system for four years with no problems. The Amiga drive
came apart in about 5 months. I hope this isn't the start of a trend.
I will NOT take my drive in for service by the local 'authorized' dealer.
I'd rather go back to CPM.

p.s.
	If Commodore ever changes the boot rom, I hope they allow booting
	from an external drive.
----

	harold ravlin		{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uicsl!hr

In article <151400029@uicsl>  hr@uicsl.UUCP writes:

> Help!
> Does anyone know where I can order an NEC FD1035 drive? (Its the
> kind used in the Amiga.) My drive 0 went bellyup last night. While
> the Amiga can not read the disk, it can access the drive mechanism.
> But the insuing noises lead me to believe the problem is mechanical.

Look in the back of Byte, or in the Computer Shopper.  You should be
able to find replacement drives and drive repair outfits.  Also, take
a look at the drive, sometime a clever person can fix the things...

> p.s.
> 	If Commodore ever changes the boot rom, I hope they allow booting
> 	from an external drive.

I think this is in the works somewhere - needed to boot off hard disks also...

--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr

hr@uicsl.UUCP (05/13/86)

A few days ago, I moaned about my drive dying. I have been able to get
it working, but...
	How does one align a 3 1/2" disk drive? Dysan sells (sold?)
alignment disks for 8" and 5 1/4" drives, but I doubt I could squeeze them in.

BTW. My problem was that one of the drive's heads was twisted. I was able to
bend it back, but the drive is no longer on speaking terms with disks
it didn't format.
----

	harold ravlin		{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uicsl!hr