[net.micro.amiga] 1.2 Beta !

rokicki@Navajo.UUCP (05/12/86)

[ She's a line eater ]

1.2 is great!  The speed improvement is more than noticeable; several
things are nicer (^\ now returns EOF instead of <LF> EOF, icons come
up much quicker, a PATH command so you don't need to copy all your
commands to RAM: or use a funny x:diskcopy.)  I also haven't seen the
case of the permanent orange screen for a while.  Now if only Manx make
still worked . . .

It's not quite the Solution To All The World's Problems, but it's
getting there.  A fast 60 megabyte hard disk and another four megabytes
of memory would do wonders to my system.  Next limit that I see: the
512K of chip memory.  Let's see this go away in future machines; 2
megabytes is much more reasonable.

`Told my girl, I had to forget her,
 Got to get me, four megs and a hard drive''

                                                   -tom

cs195@sdcsvax.UUCP (EECS 195) (05/12/86)

In article <559@Navajo.ARPA> rokicki@Navajo.ARPA (Tomas Rokicki) writes:

>1.2 is great!  The speed improvement is more than noticeable; several
>things are nicer (^\ now returns EOF instead of <LF> EOF, icons come
>up much quicker, a PATH command so you don't need to copy all your
>commands to RAM: or use a funny x:diskcopy.)  I also haven't seen the
>case of the permanent orange screen for a while.  Now if only Manx make
>still worked . . .

Yes, 1.2 is a WONDERFUL improvement.  Alot faster... cosmetic fixes...etc.
It also has some nice added utilities.  Like "diskDoctor" which fixes trashed
amigaDos disks/files.

Roger.

nick@hp-sdd.UUCP (Nick Flor) (05/13/86)

In article <1778@sdcsvax.UUCP> cs195@sdcsvax.UUCP (EECS 195) writes:
>In article <559@Navajo.ARPA> rokicki@Navajo.ARPA (Tomas Rokicki) writes:
>
>>1.2 is great!  The speed improvement is more than noticeable; several
>>things are nicer (^\ now returns EOF instead of <LF> EOF, icons come
>>up much quicker, a PATH command so you don't need to copy all your
>>commands to RAM: or use a funny x:diskcopy.)  I also haven't seen the
>>case of the permanent orange screen for a while.  Now if only Manx make
>>still worked . . .
>
>Yes, 1.2 is a WONDERFUL improvement.  Alot faster... cosmetic fixes...etc.
>It also has some nice added utilities.  Like "diskDoctor" which fixes trashed
>amigaDos disks/files.
>
>Roger.

Say.... Why are you guys BETA test sites for 1.2?  I'm jealous.
Actually, who cares.  The current operating system works fine.
When Lattice C makes their compiler faster, *that* will be news.
(And for all you developers out there, Becky says that 1.2 will
 be shipped out sometime this week or next week).

BTW, Does anyone know what parsing technique Lattice C uses?
I'm trying to figure out what the bottleneck is.  Perhaps the
code generation phase???  Will someone clue me in.

Nicko

---------