[net.micro.amiga] Alink problem

ennis@ucf-cs.UUCP (Jim Ennis) (05/07/86)

Hello,

  I am a new Amiga owner with a problem that I cannot figure out. I am getting
"Guru Mediation Mode" errors while running the ALINK program on the Lattice_C
3.03 disk. The program that I have created is a simple one that goes through
the compilation process with no errors but then dies in the ALINK program.
I have the memory expansion card and 2 disk drives so I think that I have
fullfilled all of the h/w requirements. The error code that I get can vary
between passes if I do thing differently, the most common code is:

   00000003.0000BA72

I would like to know how to read this error code or where that information is,
Who I should call if I can't get this product working. I am pretty happy with
my Amiga but this problem is keeping me from doing much with my Amiga and I am
nervous about this problem.

Jim Ennis
University of Central Florida
JIM%UCF1VM.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA
ENNIS@UCF-CS.CSNET

farmer@ico (05/13/86)

/* ---------- "Alink problem" ---------- */
All you need to do is increase your stack size.  It should be something
like stack 8000.

randy@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Randy Weiner) (05/13/86)

In article <2411@ucf-cs.UUCP> ennis@ucf-cs.UUCP (Jim Ennis) writes:

> I am getting "Guru Mediation Mode" errors while running the ALINK program
> on the Lattice_C 3.03 disk.
> I would like to know how to read this error code or where that information
> is,

   Well Jim, my first suggestion is to make sure that you have
increased the default stack (from 4000) to at least 10,000 bytes.
Use the CLI command: STACK 10,000 (or any other number). I suggest
you place this command in your startup-sequence file.

There are no guidelines as to how large a stack is needed, 10,000 is
usually enough. The stack size does not affect the size of your
program.

   Second, you must include more information about your problem.
Specifically, how do you invoke ALINK. What is the exact line
used. Make sure you are using the version of ALINK that is provided
on the 3.03 disk, and its libraries.

  And lastly, the guru errors are somewhat defined in the include
file include/exec/alerts.h/i. From this you should be able to
decode most guru error numbers. For a quick lesson: the number
to the left of the '.' is the error code. Values less than
0F(hex) refer to a 68000 exception vector. 00000003 is
an address error. The value to the right of the '.' is usually
the address of the task that was running when the error was detected.

   As usual , make sure you are using V1.1 Amiga software (trivial).

If you still have a problem, feel free to email using
the signature below.

--
Randy Weiner -- Commodore Business Machines <<Amiga Technical Support>>