[net.micro.amiga] The end....

bobp@amiga.UUCP (Robert S. Pariseau) (05/14/86)

April 14, 1986

This message marks my first contribution as a "civilian".  Yesterday,
Commodore began to implement company wide layoffs.  The folks at
Commodore-Amiga here in California got their notices yesterday.

I guess Commodore knew just how little I would support such actions
because I got mine in the first wave.

I have enjoyed talking with all of you.  You are a bunch of wild and
wonderful folks.  I continue to feel that the cutting edge of this
business is available to anyone who'll listen on networks such as this
one.

I have not yet decided what, if anything, I want to say regarding
the events that just occurred or my opinions as to what they imply for
Commodore and for the Amiga computer.  It will take me a while to
sort out my feelings.

Regardless of that, I don't expect to be out of action long.  Maybe
I'll start another company. Many people have suggested that I write
a book ("Amiga Dearest"? -- no, I suppose not).  Know any good publishers?

But frankly, my main love is still the technology.  I want to be where
quality people are pushing beyond the "edge of the art".  Engineers
with vision are still the best, the most forthright, and most fundamentally
interesting people I know.

The vision that brought you the Amiga computer still lives.

----------------

I don't expect to be back on this network for quite some time.
I can be reached at:

  263 La Salle Avenue
  Santa Clara
  California  95051
  (408)296-3823

  --Bob Pariseau
    (formerly) Vice President, Software Development
    Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

page@ulowell.UUCP (Bob Page) (05/16/86)

In article <1156@amiga.amiga.UUCP> Robert S. Pariseau writes:
>Commodore began to implement company wide layoffs.  The folks at
>Commodore-Amiga here in California got their notices yesterday.
>
>I guess Commodore knew just how little I would support such actions
>because I got mine in the first wave.

That's really incredible, and just plain dumb.  I know, Apple was
better after their layoffs.  I know, no engineering staff was cut.
I know, no East Coast support staff was cut.  Just some of the
uneeded management.

I bet we'll see some engineers leave pretty soon because of this.

Watch InfoWorld bounce all over this story.  Just what they've been
looking for -- something bad to say about Commodore and the Amiga,
and another chance to be doomsayers.

Aloha Bob.  See you soon, I'm sure.

..Bob

--