[net.micro.amiga] flash on the amiga screen .....

jdg@elmgate.uucp (Jeff Gortatowsky) (05/12/86)

>        Sometimes when using a term emulator on the amiga (notably online!),
>and say using something like vi which has the habit of throwing a flash-bell
>at you when you do something that it does not like, results quite a few times
>in turning the entire screen into horrible looking yellow (yuuck) color with
>dim white chracters on it, (the poor characters seem like finding their path
>in some desert storm :-)). So far the only solution I have found is to simply
>reset the poor amiga and then reconnect to vax or whatever. Does anybody have
>some more elegant solution to this?
>thanx....

How about using the vi ':set errorbells' to send a beep instead of a
'visable' bell?

--
Jeff Gortatowsky       {allegra,seismo}!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jdg
Eastman Kodak Company

<Kodak won't be responsible for the above comments, only those below>

edds@ecsvax.UUCP (Tom Edds) (05/12/86)

>In article <564@isis.UUCP> dmiruke@isis.UUCP (Dataram Miruke) writes:
>
>	Sometimes when using a term emulator on the amiga (notably online!),
>and say using something like vi which has the habit of throwing a flash-bell
>at you when you do something that it does not like, results quite a few times
>in turning the entire screen into horrible looking yellow (yuuck) color with
>dim white chracters on it, (the poor characters seem like finding their path
>in some desert storm :-)). So far the only solution I have found is to simply
>reset the poor amiga and then reconnect to vax or whatever. Does anybody have
>some more elegant solution to this?
>thanx....

   In Online! you can fix this by selecting another window type from
 the "Other" menu. This causes the whole window to be redone, and has
 cleared this problem up for me the few times it has happened.

   Tom Edds
   ...mcnc!ecsvax!edds

       "If the thunder don't get you, then the lightning will!"

#include <disclaimer.h>

wagner@utcs.uucp (Michael Wagner) (05/15/86)

I just reorder the windows so that I can see the workbench screen
(where I have put PREFERENCES) and call up preferences.  First act in
office it resets the colour registers.  Then I CANCEL and get back to the
terminal.  Got to admit it's a pain, though.

Michael Wagner, University of Toronto Computing Services (wagner@utcs)

danny@convex.UUCP (05/17/86)

I think the problem is not just with vi.

I use AmigaBASIC alot and sometimes when you get errors, especially in
rapid fire, the screen will turn this same yellow.  Will some Intuition guru
point out the offending routine that will beep and flash the colors of a screen?
This would seen to be the bug.  I suggest that for the time being, a program
(like Online! for example) check the color registers after BEEPing and if they
changed, reset them.

Dan Wallach
convex!danny

P.S. How do I get a pre-release copy of Workbench 1.2?

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (05/19/86)

In article <93500016@convex> danny@convex.UUCP writes:

>I think the problem is not just with vi.
>
>I use AmigaBASIC alot and sometimes when you get errors, especially in
>rapid fire, the screen will turn this same yellow.  Will some Intuition guru
>point out the offending routine that will beep and flash the colors of a screen?
>This would seen to be the bug.  I suggest that for the time being, a program
>(like Online! for example) check the color registers after BEEPing and if they
>changed, reset them.
>
>Dan Wallach
>convex!danny
>
>P.S. How do I get a pre-release copy of Workbench 1.2?

Ok, I'm wrong.  Even in Beta1 DisplayBeep() can still get inverted.
(I added some semaphores *near* that piece of code, but not quite
*around* that piece of code :^))

Honest Injun', never again.

Please don't dick with the color registers, it is exactly that kind of thing
not being re-entrant that causes this problem in the first place (what if
someone else is beeping the screen?).  Consider the bug reported (beaten
over my head) and By Jiminy, it will be fixed.

Workbench 1.2 doesn't work without Kickstart 1.2, so you need both.  Actually,
to develop anything cool, you need the whole kit-and-kaboodle (libs, incs,
docs, ...).  The deal with that is that all registered developers will
be getting Beta sets, just not as soon as we had expected.  Non-registered
developers might steal a copy from their registered friends (without their
knowledge) and use it and find a channel to get bugs reported back to us.
But that is up to them.

				jimm
				IntuiGod