[net.micro.amiga] Developer Manuals

jec@iuvax.UUCP (05/12/86)

	I've heard some talk that Amiga is no longer selling the developers
manual set.  The dealer I spoke to mentioned that they would be published by
third party publishers.

	I'd heard the talk about third party publishers printing the manuals,
but I thought that Amiga would continue to sell the documentation, however he
said that would have to wait for the third party publishers to releases their
manuals since Amiga was not shipping to him (?!?!).

	Well, what is the straight story?  I'd like to get a copy of the
developers manuals, but I don't want to wait for 3 months while these third
party publishers crank up the presses.

James E. Conley			Usenet: {ihnp4,pur-ee,purdue}!iuvax!jec
I.U. Dept. of Computer Science  Phone:  (812) 335-9389
021-C Lindley Hall			(812) 333-6702 [Home]
Bloomington, IN. 47405

rossi@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Lisa Rossi) (05/15/86)

In article <41000016@iuvax.UUCP> jec@iuvax.UUCP writes:

>	I've heard some talk that Amiga is no longer selling the developers
>manual set.  The dealer I spoke to mentioned that they would be published by
>third party publishers.

Commodore-Amiga is no longer suppling the documentation package, however
we still have the developers package available.  The developers package
consists of the following:
Manuals:
	 Developers manual
	 Users manual
	 Technical Reference manual
	 ROM Kernel manual
	 Hardware manual
	 Intuition manual
	 Lattice C manual

Software:
	 Lattice C
	 68000 Macro Assembler
	 IBM Cross development package

To order send $450.00 to Commodore Business Machines
			 C-2655
			 1200 Wilson Drive
			 West Chester, Pa  19380

>	I'd heard the talk about third party publishers printing the manuals,
>but I thought that Amiga would continue to sell the documentation, however he
>said that would have to wait for the third party publishers to releases their
>manuals since Amiga was not shipping to him (?!?!).
>
>	Well, what is the straight story?  I'd like to get a copy of the
>developers manuals, but I don't want to wait for 3 months while these third
>party publishers crank up the presses.

You should be able to get the three DOS manuals (Bantam) and the Hardware
manual (Addison-Wesley) from any bookstore or dealer.  As for the ROM Kernel,
Addison-Wesley will be making that available on May 30.  The cost should be
around $24.95 for Vol 1 and $34.95 for Vol 2.

Lisa Rossi-Siracusa		Commodore Business Machines
				uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!rossi
				arpa: cbmvax!rossi@seismo.css.GOV
				or    rossi@cbmvax.UUCP@{seismo|harvard}
				(215) 431-9180

bruceb@amiga.UUCP (Bruce Barrett) (05/15/86)

In article <245@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> rossi@cbmvax.UUCP (Lisa Rossi) writes:
>[...]  As for the ROM Kernel,
>Addison-Wesley will be making that available on May 30.  The cost should be
>around $24.95 for Vol 1 and $34.95 for Vol 2.

5/30 was the original expected ship date. AW expected to ship to book stores
then.  Our final edits were sent to AW 1-2 weeks "late", so I think the
ship date may have slipped.  Then again Lisa may have better info than I,
I just don't know.
	--Bruce Barrett

randy@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Randy Weiner) (05/16/86)

In article <245@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> rossi@cbmvax.UUCP (Lisa Rossi) writes:
>In article <41000016@iuvax.UUCP> jec@iuvax.UUCP writes:
>>
>>	I've heard some talk that Amiga is no longer selling the developers
>>manual set.  The dealer I spoke to mentioned that they would be published by
>>third party publishers.
>
>Commodore-Amiga is no longer suppling the documentation package, however
>we still have the developers package available.  The developers package
>consists of the following:

First, I would like to apologize for the apparent contradiction
regarding sale of Amiga documentation and developer's kits. Both
of these packages are available from Commodore (see previous posting
for mail address, etc.) ***BUT*** I am told that there is a
6-8 week turn around.

   Before you scream and hit the roof -- I am merely repeating
the information passed to us by the accounting department. I agree
that 6 weeks is too long to have to wait but this is out of
our control. Our group does not keep the stock, or process the orders.
You have to go through the same paperwork as if you were a K-Mart
ordering 500 C-128s. And, shipping of manuals, etc. is getting
a low priority right now. (Getting hw out the door is #1!).

   I do not understand why Addison-Wesley has been taking soooo long
in printing the official version of the technical information. Part
of this is due to delays on our part -- additional pages to be added
and errata. The latest information we have is that their expected
May 29 release will be 1 to 2 weeks late. No one more than us (the
technical support group) will be happier once these manuals are
readily available.

   And, as always, the USENET community is invited to mail questions,
etc. to us. Answers will be sent using email as soon as possible.
But please, our group has no control over system software design.
I suggest you refer these comments to the engineers at Amiga (who also
respond on USENET), and continue to post them here for everyone to read
and enjoy (-: :-) .
--
     + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Randy Weiner -- Commodore Business Machines <<Amiga Technical Support>>

michaelk@copper.UUCP (Michael Kersenbrock) (05/16/86)

I've seen Vol. 1 in local Dalton Bookseller stores (a national chain) for
several weeks now.

Interestingly enough, they are located under "Amiga" rather than "Commodore"
(where the C128, etc books are).

--

Mike Kersenbrock
Tektronix Software Development Products

randy@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Randy Weiner) (05/21/86)

In article <252@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> randy@cbmvax.UUCP (Randy Weiner) writes:
>In article <245@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> rossi@cbmvax.UUCP (Lisa Rossi) writes:
>>In article <41000016@iuvax.UUCP> jec@iuvax.UUCP writes:
>>>
>>>	I've heard some talk that Amiga is no longer selling the developers
>>>manual set.  The dealer I spoke to mentioned that they would be published by
>>>third party publishers.
>>
>>Commodore-Amiga is no longer suppling the documentation package, however
>>we still have the developers package available.  The developers package
>>consists of the following:
>
>...Both
>of these packages are available from Commodore (see previous posting
>for mail address, etc.) ***BUT*** I am told that there is a
>6-8 week turn around.

Well, I am eating my words. Not more than two days after this posting
I received the latest update information regarding the availability
of both the software and documentation packages.

Effective May 20, 1986:

	Software Developer's Kit -- $450.00 (US)
	   Complete Documentation
	   Lattice C compiler and manual
	   68000 Macro Assembler
	   IBM PC/XT Cross development package
	   WACK disk, including DiskEd (no docs for WACK)

	Amiga Documentation Kit -- $99.95 (US)
	   Rom Kernal Manual, 2 volume set
	   Amiga Hardware Reference Manual
	   INTUITION, the Amiga User's Interface Manual
	   Dos User's Manual
	   Dos Programmers Manaul
	   Dos Technical Reference Manual

  The above named packages may be ordered from the Commodore Service
Department. Just enclose a check for the required amount and mail to:
	Commodore Business Machines
	C-2655
	1200 Wilson Drive
	West Chester, Pa. 19380

   In addition, you may now order the IFF documentation seperately.
The documentation comes in a spiral bound notebook and is a duplication
of the IFF spec found in the ROM KERNAL MANUAL, but includes the
latest revisions, additions, and changes. The IFF source examples
are also provided on a 3-1/2" diskette.

	IFF package (book and disk) -- $20.00 (US)
	(sold only as a set)

   To obtain this package, please enclose a check for the required
amount and mail it to:
	Commodore Business Machines
	1200 Wilson Drive
	West Chester, Pa. 19380
	Attn: Bernadette Lougherty

The latest information is that these materials are available now.
You should receive your package(s) about 2 weeks after receipt of
your check.

--