[net.sf-lovers] Beyond the Dar El Harb; RIP-OFF WARNING!

cpf@lasspvax.UUCP (Courtenay Footman) (10/20/85)

"Beyond the Dar El Harb" by Gorden Dickson (I may have the title
slightly wrong) is a sequel to "Jamie the Red", by Dickson and Green.
What is not apparent from cover, front blurb, or rear blurb is that it
is not a novel, but a novella;  the remaining two thirds of the book
are two mediocre Dickson stories that have been published several
times before.

As a novella, the thing is not bad; not all that great, but not bad.
As it was, however, I encountered the biggest surprise ending of any
book that I have ever read.  ("You mean, its over, and the next 150
pages are worthless???"  "Yes.")
--
Courtenay Footman		arpa:	cpf@lnsvax
Newman Lab. of Nuclear Studies	usenet (finally this will work):

cgf@infinet.UUCP (Chris Faylor) (10/24/85)

{}
In article <614@lasspvax.UUCP> cpf@lasspvax.UUCP (Courtenay Footman) writes:

>"Beyond the Dar El Harb" by Gorden Dickson (I may have the title
>slightly wrong) is a sequel to "Jamie the Red", by Dickson and Green.
>What is not apparent from cover, front blurb, or rear blurb is that it
>is not a novel, but a novella;  the remaining two thirds of the book
>are two mediocre Dickson stories that have been published several
>times before.

The title is _Beyond the Dar Al~Harb_ and I quite agree: it is a rip-off.
It was sort of like running head on into a brick wall when I turned the
page and the setting suddenly changed from medieval Middle East to the
interior of a space ship.

I haven't made the mistake of buying a book of short stories thinking
it was a novel for quite some time.  There is NO indication that this
is not a full length novel anywhere on the jacket or front page.
There oughtta be a law.
--
			-cgf-

I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

		decvax!wanginst!infinet!cgf