[net.micro.amiga] AmigaDos w/o Directory in AmigaDos

randy@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Randy Weiner) (05/09/86)

In article <327@ethz.UUCP> claudio@ethz.UUCP (Claudio Nieder) writes:
>I think it is funny (?) that this sort of (non-)directory is implemented
>on a machine like the Amiga where most program will implement an OPEN
>command which shows up the directory so that you can select which file
>you need. On a UNIX or MSDOS computer you are free to type in the
>filename if you already know it, and you don't have to wait for the
>directory. On Window/Mouse-oriented programs on the Amiga you have to
>wait until the OPEN command has collected all filenames. Therefor I
>think the actual implementation of the file system (directory) is
>unapropriate for the Amiga.
>
>					claudio

  The implementation of the OPEN operation in various programs
does not require that all files in a directory be listed before
selecting a file. This feature is a result of how the programmer
has written the code. It would be just as easy for the program
to have a menu option that lets you either OPEN (with a resultant
list of all files) or OPEN AS which then requests the user for a
filename.
--
     + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Randy Weiner -- Commodore Business Machines <<Amiga Technical Support>>

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (05/15/86)

>   The implementation of the OPEN operation in various programs
> does not require that all files in a directory be listed before
> selecting a file. This feature is a result of how the programmer
> has written the code. It would be just as easy for the program
> to have a menu option that lets you either OPEN (with a resultant
> list of all files) or OPEN AS which then requests the user for a
> filename.

Actually neither OPEN nor OPEN AS are appropriate for a window-oriented
user interface. What you need to be able to do is grab a file from the
workbench and drop it into the program window. You should also be able to
pick up a file and drop it into a program icon to start the program with
that icon as "input".

To do this you would need only (only?) add a new message "new file" to go
along with "resize" and other windowing messages. When the program gets
that message it can put up a requestor asking whether you really mean to
discard the old file (presuming it can only deal with one file at a time)
if there is one and then open the new one.

This would also provide a hell of an incentive for people who write software
for this beast to write well-behaved workbench programs (at least they'd
have to open one window in the WB even if they used their own screen) instead
of PC-ware.

How about it, C=Amiga?
--
-- Peter da Silva
-- UUCP: ...!shell!{baylor,graffiti}!peter; MCI: PDASILVA; CIS: 70216,1076

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (05/21/86)

In article <653@baylor.UUCP> peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Actually neither OPEN nor OPEN AS are appropriate for a window-oriented
>user interface. What you need to be able to do is grab a file from the
>workbench and drop it into the program window. You should also be able to
>pick up a file and drop it into a program icon to start the program with
>that icon as "input".

That's already available on the Amiga, its just that lots of programmers
aren't using it.  What you described is called extended icon select, or
something like that.  What you do is select a series of icons while holding
down the shift key.  Intuition doesn't automatically unselect an icon when
the next one's selected when the shift key is held down.  Anyway, the last
thing you do is double-click on the program icon.  Intuition passes a
reference structure that contains a list of file handles to each of the
selected icons; this is essentially the window based analog to passing
on the command line.

--

Dave Haynie    {caip,inhp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh
               "There, beyond the bounds of your weak imagination