[net.micro.amiga] Sunglasses for flicker reduction

keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (05/23/86)

In article <333@ucdavis.UUCP> flocchini@ucdavis.UUCP (flocchini) writes:
>...somebody had
>concluded that the sunglasses reduction of intensity was the
>probable explanation of the shake going away.i can still verify
>that with a pair of sunglasses (as strange as it may look) interlace
>mode is quite acceptable.

By putting on a pair of sunglasses you are decreasing the amount of
light getting to the retina. The eye tries to make up for this by
"cranking up the gain" of the receiving system. When this happens the
"relaxation time" of the eye increases - that is, images persist in the
visual receiving system for a longer time. (I don't know if the image
persists in the light receptors themselves or somewhere else in the
system.) You should be able to achieve the same result by reducing the
contrast (and probably the background light) to where your eye has to
work a little harder to percieve the image.

As a side note - this effect can be used to simulate 3-D video on
normal broadcast television. Take a pair of fairly dark sunglasses (use
some you don't want any more) and remove one of the lenses. Then watch
TV. What happens is that the darkened eye "cranks up the gain" and the
temporal response lengthens. This coupled with the fact that most
motion in a TV picture is horizontal (that is, the same axis as your
two eyes) will combine to create what the brain percieves to be an
increased (?) depth of view.

Have fun!

keith

Keith Ericson  at TekLabs (resident factious factotum)
Tektronix, PO 500, MS 58-383         Beaverton OR 97077        (503)627-6042
uucp: [ucbvax|decvax|ihnp4|hplabs|(and_many_others)]!tektronix!tekgvs!keithe
CSnet: keithe%tekgvs@tektronix  ARPAnet: keithe%tekgvs%tektronix@csnet-relay