[net.micro.amiga] Commodore-Amiga Informational Release

bart@amiga.UUCP (Barry A. Whitebook) (05/16/86)

< from: jay g. miner - general manager Commodore-Amiga - Los Gatos, California >

Commodore International has had heavy layoffs. These have been uniformly
distributed across all divisions, and are necessary for an overall reduction
in staff.

The Amiga Division's staff losses have come almost completely from management,
and engineering support services.

Commodore is continuing to support the Amiga computer, and development of new
products continues at Amiga.

				Jay G. Miner
				General Manager
				Commodore-Amiga

dillon@PAVEPAWS.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (05/16/86)

	I really hate statements which end in the line:

>Commodore is continuing to support the Amiga computer, and development of new
>products continues at Amiga.

	Is this supposted to be reassurance?   The message does not contain any
of the essential information, so my question is:

************************
	Exactly who (apart from Bobp) got laid off at C-A ????
************************

	Good Luck, Bob Pariseau, wherever your destiny takes you.

						-Matt

><from: jay g. miner - general manager Commodore-Amiga - Los Gatos, California>

>Commodore International has had heavy layoffs. These have been uniformly
>distributed across all divisions, and are necessary for an overall reduction
>in staff.
>
>The Amiga Division's staff losses have come almost completely from management,
>and engineering support services.
>
>Commodore is continuing to support the Amiga computer, and development of new
>products continues at Amiga.
>
>				Jay G. Miner
>				General Manager
>				Commodore-Amiga

dibble@rochester.ARPA (Peter C. Dibble) (05/19/86)

Layoffs at Commodore might be a happy sign if it means that they are getting
rid of dead wood so they can concentrate on improving the fine Amiga
hardware that they have on the market.  Another theory is that they are
setting themselves up for a long struggle -- straightening out their
finances.  Yet another is that they've decided to contract Amiga software
developement out to some other company(s).

The frightening possibility is that they could believe that the Amiga is
finished.  If they believe that, very likely, they are correct.

I thought only polititians had to do mindless uniform budget cuts?  Now that
I come to think about it Jay Miner's informational note sounded like political
talk.  What are the facts here?  How many were layed off?  What percent were
involved with the Amiga?  "*Almost* completely from management ..."?  What
percent?

Any cut in software support for the Amiga is a cut in something Amiga
purchasers thought they had bought.  I am usually inclined to believe
that mushy language is hiding something "they" don't want me to know.

Was this a flame?  If so, sorry.  I get a little upset when I see
official "Don't worry. Everything's under control." messages from
PR types.
Peter Dibble @Rochester

randy@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Randy Weiner) (05/20/86)

In article <18244@rochester.ARPA> dibble@rochester.ARPA (Peter C. Dibble) writes:
>...Layoffs at Commodore might be a happy sign if it means that they are
>getting rid of dead wood..
>
>Any cut in software support for the Amiga is a cut in something Amiga
>purchasers thought they had bought.  I am usually inclined to believe
>that mushy language is hiding something "they" don't want me to know.

You will be happy to know that the developers' support group remains
intact and unaffected by the recent changes (read: no layoffs).

We will continue to help in everyway possible!!

--
     + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Randy Weiner -- Commodore Business Machines <<Amiga Technical Support>>

eric@amiga.UUCP (05/20/86)

**** Sorry if this is a duplication... I had a minor foulup ****

In article <18244@rochester.ARPA> dibble@rochester.ARPA (Peter C. Dibble) writes:
>Layoffs at Commodore might be a happy sign if it means that they are getting
>rid of dead wood so they can concentrate on improving the fine Amiga
>hardware that they have on the market.  Another theory is that they are
>setting themselves up for a long struggle -- straightening out their
>finances.  Yet another is that they've decided to contract Amiga software
>developement out to some other company(s).

FLAME ON
Speaking for myself (not Commodore) let me say this: Most of those caught
in the layoffs should not be considered 'dead wood'.  A lot of these people
were good friends of mine - extremely talented and hardworking individuals
working together for the success of the Amiga.  I'm proud to have worked
with these people.  'Nuff said.
FLAME OFF

        Eric Cotton
--

"My hovercraft is full of eels."

/*========================================================================*/
/*====    UUCP: {ihnp4 | allegra | seismo}!cbmvax!eric                ====*/
/*====      or: pyramid!amiga!eric                                    ====*/
/*====    ARPA: cbmvax!eric@seismo                                    ====*/
/*==== US mail: Commodore Technology                                  ====*/
/*====          1200 Wilson Drive                                     ====*/
/*====          West Chester, PA 19380                                ====*/
/*====   phone: (215) 431-9180                                        ====*/
/*========================================================================*/

bruceb@amiga.UUCP (05/20/86)

In article <261@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> randy@cbmvax.UUCP (Randy
Weiner) writes:

>You will be happy to know that the developers' support group remains
>intact and unaffected by the recent changes (read: no layoffs).

	True as long as your perspective is the West Chester facility.
	Not true if you include the Los Gatos facility.  Depends on
	your point of view.
--Bruce Barrett

randy@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Randy Weiner) (05/21/86)

In article <8605161915.AA11768@pavepaws> dillon@PAVEPAWS.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

>>(from a posting by Jay Miner:)
>>Commodore is continuing to support the Amiga computer, and development of new
>>products continues at Amiga.
>
>	Is this supposted to be reassurance?   The message does not contain any
>of the essential information, so my question is:
>	Exactly who (apart from Bobp) got laid off at C-A ????
>>
>>The Amiga Division's staff losses have come almost completely from management,
>>and engineering support services.

  As Jay said, management and support services. The engineering support
services are being picked up by employees at the West Chester facility.
These services had been provided by people at both sites, an unnecessary
duplication. Our hope is that this consolidation will allow us
to provide a better, more uniform service to our devlopers and the
public.

--
     + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

In article <268@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> randy@cbmvax.UUCP (Randy Weiner) writes:
>In article <8605161915.AA11768@pavepaws> dillon@PAVEPAWS.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>>
>>>(from a posting by Jay Miner:)
>>>Commodore is continuing to support the Amiga computer, and development of new
>>>products continues at Amiga.
>>
>>	Is this supposted to be reassurance?   The message does not contain any
>>of the essential information, so my question is:
>>	Exactly who (apart from Bobp) got laid off at C-A ????
>>>
>>>The Amiga Division's staff losses have come almost completely from management,
>>>and engineering support services.
>>>
>  As Jay said, management and support services. The engineering support
>services are being picked up by employees at the West Chester facility.
>These services had been provided by people at both sites, an unnecessary
>duplication. Our hope is that this consolidation will allow us
>to provide a better, more uniform service to our devlopers and the
>public.

****Commodore employee badge -- OFF*****
    I am purposely including all previous references so one can follow
the thread. I have unwittingly ignored all of the very talented
people who are no longer officially involved with Commodore-Amiga.
In my reply, I talked about duplication of services, etc. But I did
not mention that many of those people who were let go provided a
unique service for (the) Amiga, and for whom there is no counterpart
at West Chester. It is a shame that Commodore feels they no longer needed
these people, they will be missed.

   To all of you who have helped me, and the rest of the West Chester
support group, thanks!

   I am sure many of you will continue to be involved in the future of
the Amiga, one way or another. I wish you all the best of luck!

****Commodore employee badge -- ON****

   We will all continue on the best we can.

--
     + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

ewhac@well.UUCP (05/23/86)

In article <268@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> randy@cbmvax.UUCP (Randy Weiner) writes:

>  As Jay said, management and support services. The engineering support
>services are being picked up by employees at the West Chester facility.
>These services had been provided by people at both sites, an unnecessary
>duplication. Our hope is that this consolidation will allow us
>to provide a better, more uniform service to our devlopers and the
>public.

	It occurs to me that, while it is nice to eliminate duplication,
your corporate brains have failed to take into account that West Chester did
not build the Amiga, Los Gatos did.

	The people at Los Gatos are in a far better position to provide tech
support for the machine than the West Chester bunch, and the WC crew should
have, in my opinion, gotten the axe first.

	Don't misunderstand; I'm not saying that, just because "you're not
Los Gatos," you don't know what you're talking about.  However, I can't help
but feel that the West Chester people are "on the outside looking in."  And
who do they see inside?  Los Gatos.

	Not to mention the fact that I'm in the Bay Area, and it's
infinitely cheaper for me to call LG than to call WC.  Further, LG people
attend the BADGE meetings.  I don't think WC people get out that far :-).

	Now for the tough question:  When Commodore becomes nice and solvent
again (notice I used the word "when," not "if"), will these people be
cheerfully invited back to the company?  One hopes so....

	All this doesn't change the fact that the Amiga is still one helluva
piece of hardware.  I'd just like to see it supported by the people who
built it, not the people who bought the rights to manufacture it.

	If you detect a modicum of poison in this letter, it's probably
because I have a general distaste for corporate "brains" and MBA's who, in
my estimation, don't know which end is up when it comes to the computer
industry.  This latest development confirms my theories.  Sigh.

	I still love this machine, though.  And I'm still gonna write stuff
for it, no matter what happens.  So there :-).

Leo L. Schwab				ihnp4!ptsfa!well!ewhac
						..or..
I don't work for anybody,		well ---\
so I don't need disclaimers!		dual ----> !unicom!ewhac
					hplabs -/       ("AE-wack")

rogue@well.UUCP (L. Brett Glass) (05/23/86)

While, "officially" speaking, no developer support people were laid off, the
fact remains that some of the departed (or soon-to-be-departed) provided
a great deal of help and information to developers, far over and above the
call of duty. Two of the ones I'll miss the most are Bruce Barrett (frequently
seen on the net as "bruceb") and Stan Shepherd -- I hope they'll find a way
to remain on the nets! <BG>