[net.micro.amiga] Lattice, and vi-ex

dillon@PAVEPAWS.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (05/21/86)

	Rather strange wording, but to keep matter's straight, UNIX Vi was
built on top of ex.

Dave Haynie writes:
>actually executes LISP itself.  Also, isn't the "line-oriented mode" of
>the UN*X systems actually a thing called EX, the extended editor that
>calls VI as its screen-oriented submode?

Also:

>The size of the code is Lattice's stupidity in organizing their libraries;
>the Lattice code itself is small.

	I agree.  Lattice code isn't fantastic, but neither is it as slow as
we are led to believe.  It's mainly the ridiculous library organization
and the huge executable's (lc1 and lc2) that take all the time.

					-Matt

root@ucsfcca.UUCP (05/28/86)

>  Rather strange wording, but to keep matter's straight, UNIX Vi was
> built on top of ex.

Actually, ex is an enhanced version of the traditional Unix editor `ed'
which is included in all Unix systems. AT&T has imported `ex' into its
System V from the University of California at Berkeley versions BSD X.X
(BSD is Berkeley Software Distribution; the latest X.X is 4.3) and `ex'
and `vi' are the same program which looks at the name it was called by
to see what mode it should use to start.

Even with `ex' included, `ed' is retained because it is more suitable
for use in scripts (smaller, faster starting, less verbose, and
universally available in Unix).

Side issue: All this time I have been wondering why there were so
many writers in this group who can't spell `kernel' but now I see
that it is C-A who don't know how to spell.

Thos Sumner    (...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!ucsfcca.UCSF!thos)