[net.micro.amiga] PD vi?

gary@ssc-vax.UUCP (Gary J Albert) (05/20/86)

	Having seen all of the recent postings of source code for the
	various versions of MicroEMACS I was wondering, is there a
	public domain version of the 'vi' editor?  If such a thing
	existed, I would be very interested in porting it to the Amiga.
	If anyone knows of such a thing I would appreciate any
	information you could give.

			Thanks in advance,
			Gary Albert
			Boeing Aerospace Co.
			ssc-vax!gary

breuel@h-sc2.UUCP (breuel) (05/23/86)

> 	Having seen all of the recent postings of source code for the
> 	various versions of MicroEMACS I was wondering, is there a
> 	public domain version of the 'vi' editor?  If such a thing
> 	existed, I would be very interested in porting it to the Amiga.
> 	If anyone knows of such a thing I would appreciate any
> 	information you could give.

Sorry to post this, but maybe other people are also interested
(and don't know about it yet): there is an editor called 'tvx'
which can emulate 'emacs', 'vi', and also has a native mode.
It was posted to mod.sources recently, and is available from
the mod.sources archive at seismo.ARPA. Maybe someone is willing
to spend the time and port it? It shouldn't be too much work...

					Thomas.

PS: I haven't seem 'tvx' running, so no guarantees as to its quality.

mende@remus.RUTGERS.EDU (Mende) (05/24/86)

In article <960@h-sc2.UUCP>, breuel@h-sc2.UUCP (breuel) writes:
> > 	Having seen all of the recent postings of source code for the
> > 	various versions of MicroEMACS I was wondering, is there a
> > 	public domain version of the 'vi' editor?  If such a thing
> > 	existed, I would be very interested in porting it to the Amiga.
> > 	If anyone knows of such a thing I would appreciate any
> > 	information you could give.
>
> Sorry to post this, but maybe other people are also interested
> (and don't know about it yet): there is an editor called 'tvx'
> which can emulate 'emacs', 'vi', and also has a native mode.
> It was posted to mod.sources recently, and is available from
> the mod.sources archive at seismo.ARPA. Maybe someone is willing
> to spend the time and port it? It shouldn't be too much work...
>
> 					Thomas.

  Fish Disk # 20 has tex with the VI mode in it ...

Also note that Fish # 22 and 23 are filled with *only* PD emacs
versions.
  This includes  MicroEmacs Version 30 which has GNU bindings.

Contact Fred Fish at the following address

   {seismo|caip|..}|well|fnf

			Bob Mende

  ARPA: mende@aim.rutgers.edu
  UUCP: caip|aim|mende

                     Soon to be running my *3* drive Amiga!

fnf@unisoft.UUCP (05/26/86)

In article <960@h-sc2.UUCP> breuel@h-sc2.UUCP (breuel) writes:
>			... there is an editor called 'tvx'
>which can emulate 'emacs', 'vi', and also has a native mode.
>It was posted to mod.sources recently, and is available from
>the mod.sources archive at seismo.ARPA. Maybe someone is willing
>to spend the time and port it? It shouldn't be too much work...

I have a partially ported version.  It links and run enough to
accept commands in some sort of line mode.  I am not familiar
enough with tvx, and don't have the spare time to learn it, to
know what, if anything, is broken.  I will be glad to pass on what
I have to someone willing to take the time to make it work right.
If you want this give me a call at (415) 685-7295 between 8PM and
11PM PDT.  Be aware you are probably going to have to do a significant
amount of work to clean it up...

-Fred

Fred Fish    UniSoft Systems Inc, 739 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,lll-lcc}!unisoft!fnf	(415) 644 1230 		TWX 11 910 366-2145

wampler@unmvax.UUCP (Bruce Wampler) (05/28/86)

> In article <960@h-sc2.UUCP> breuel@h-sc2.UUCP (breuel) writes:
> >			... there is an editor called 'tvx'
> >which can emulate 'emacs', 'vi', and also has a native mode.

> Be aware you are probably going to have to do a significant
> amount of work to clean it up...

	I am the author of TVX.  There was a minor compiler dependent
bug in the version posted to mod.sources.  I posted the fix to net.sources,
but the moderator of mod.sources for some reason didn't post them
to mod.sources.  If anyone wants the sources and/or bug fixes, please
send me e-mail and I will tell you how to get copies.  The mod.sources
really does work and really doesn't require significant work to port.
I haven't gotten any response back about the amiga, but I have heard
about the ST, the Mac, C128 CP/M, VMS, and all sorts of Unix systems.
Take my (unbiased..) word for it.  If you like vi or two mode editors
and can't stand all the finger straining and hand movement you need
for emacs, try TVX either with its own command set or in the vi
emulation.
--
Dr. Bruce E. Wampler
University of New Mexico

..{ucbvax | seismo!gatech | ihnp4!lanl}!unmvax!wampler