[net.micro.amiga] Need Lots of Storage

ricker@bunker.UUCP (ricker) (05/29/86)

In article <260@usl-pc.UUCP> jpdres10@usl-pc.UUCP (Green Eric Lee) writes:
>-*-text-*-
>
>OK. Granted, the Amiga is a great computer. . .
>
>HOWEVER: [Relates interesting business problem]

A question that occurs to me is: What market is the Amiga aimed at?

I realize that the name of the division is Commodore Business Machines, but
I am only vaguely aware of any businesses that use it. Most of the people I
am coming into contact with are developer's like myself, either independent or
academic. And the applications, do not seem to be oriented toward finance,
marketing, or logistic problems. Paintboxes, music editors, scientific modeling
packages are the most visible to me.

>  b) The hardware people should be working on low-cost hard disk drives and
>RAM expansions, not modems, or should be helping 3rd parties who do
>plan to bring out low-cost hard disk drives and RAM expansions (there
>are none now).

I cannot comment on the dealer network problem but I definitely agree about Mr.
Lee's suggestion for more data storage and lots of it. Business data processing
is based upon two major areas: Transaction processing and Decision analysis.
Both require the ability to handle mega-bytes of data easily. A pleasant
interface is temporarily expendable.

So bring on the hard disks and RAM expansions!!
--
Ricker
in Connecticut

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (06/02/86)

> I realize that the name of the division is Commodore Business Machines, but
> I am only vaguely aware of any businesses that use it...

Commodore was at one time supplying about 50% of business oriented micros
in Europe (CBM series, like 8032, etc.), obviously prior to MS-DOS days.
Their reputation for being a "games-machine" company is really based in the
US market only, and largely due to the fact that the home machines, like
VIC-20 and C64, were the only machines pushed recently in the US.  In
Europe they still sell many more business-only machines, like the IBM
compatible PC-10 & PC-20, and a business oriented version of the C128, called
the C128D, which is selling quite well these days.

> And the applications, do not seem to be oriented toward finance, marketing,
> or logistic problems. Paintboxes, music editors, scientific modeling
> packages are the most visible to me.

Maybe alot of that visibility is because the Amiga does those things so well.
But I've seen at least three wordprocessors, two spreadsheets, several types
of financial analysis packages, etc. already, and the machine's only been
for sale since October or so.

--
Dave Haynie    {caip,inhp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh

	"Let me control a planet's oxygen supply,
	 and I don't care who makes the laws"
				-Great Culuthu's Starry Wisdom Band