[net.micro.amiga] Serial Port speeds

dillon@PAVEPAWS.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (05/31/86)

	I wrote a little test program for the serial port... it writes
128 bytes (0-127), and reads them back.... I wanted to see how fast the
serial port would go without loosing characters (had RAD_BOOGIE set as
well).  No protocols, NO 7-wire.

	Well, I set the thing to 292000 baud, and it worked! (8-bit,
no parity, 1 stop) = 10 bit transmission = 29200 bytes/sec, or one byte
every 34.2 uS.

	Did I make a mistake, or can the serial port *really* receive that
fast without loosing characters.  The 128-byte packets were mere blips on
the RD and SD L.E.D.'s for my modem (in local echo mode).
Even with a loaded system there didn't seem to be any problem.

	Whether I'm right or wrong, I would like to complement the
designers of the Amiga for the excellent serial port!

	Here's a technical question (please don't answer unless you really
know the answer... no answer is better than the wrong answer):  What is
the overhead for interrupt service routines (say, the first service routine
in a given chain)?

					-Matt

neil@amiga.UUCP (Neil Katin) (06/03/86)

In article <8605311901.AA02278@pavepaws> dillon@PAVEPAWS.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>	Here's a technical question (please don't answer unless you really
>know the answer... no answer is better than the wrong answer):  What is
>the overhead for interrupt service routines (say, the first service routine
>in a given chain)?
>
>					-Matt

These are the timings that I made a while ago for the 1.2 release.
They are significantly faster than for 1.1 (about 20%)

time from 68K interrupt acknowledge to processing of int handler: 33.5
time from int handler to first int server: 14 (only applies if this int
    is processed via an int server chain.  Serial ints are NOT processed
    this way, but I thought I'd give the time anyway.

The times are in microseconds.  Hope this helps.

	Neil