[net.micro.amiga] Defualt actions for System Requesters

jdg@elmgate.uucp (Jeff Gortatowsky) (05/22/86)

Does anyone know if Amiga Kernal 1.2 has changed the system requesters so
that, say, pressing return causes a defualt action?  For example mistyping
the device spec pops up a System requester asking you to insert disk
such-and-such.  It be nice just to hit enter to choose cancel.  It's really
a pain to have to 'mouse' on over to the cancel gadget.  How about
AMIGAKEY-Y to retry,yes,continue, etc, and  AMIGAKEY-N to cancel. Or
have I missed something already there?  There's certainly enough to miss!
How 'bout it? Anyone else find this annoying in the cli/shell environment?

If you don't know what I mean, waltz on over to an ST and remove disk A,
then open the drive. A dialog appears with the defualt action (pressing
return) heavily outlined.
--
Jeff Gortatowsky       {allegra,seismo}!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jdg
Eastman Kodak Company

<Kodak won't be responsible for the above comments, only those below>

randy@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Randy Weiner) (05/23/86)

In article <431@elmgate.uucp> jdg@elmgate.uucp (Jeff Gortatowsky) writes:

>Does anyone know if Amiga Kernal 1.2 has changed the system requesters so
>that, say, pressing return causes a defualt action?...
>...a pain to have to 'mouse' on over to the cancel gadget.

	Well Jeff, there is good news and bad news. First the good news.
There are Amiga menu short cuts in V1.2 that apply to Autorequest
requesters. The bad news is that the key assignments are not
obvious. The short cuts are:
	retry ==  LeftAmigakey + B
	cancel == LeftAmigakey + V

--
     + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Randy Weiner -- Commodore Business Machines <<Amiga Technical Support>>

jimm@amiga.UUCP (05/26/86)

In article <288@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> randy@cbmvax.UUCP (Randy Weiner) writes:
>In article <431@elmgate.uucp> jdg@elmgate.uucp (Jeff Gortatowsky) writes:
>>
>>Does anyone know if Amiga Kernal 1.2 has changed the system requesters so
>>that, say, pressing return causes a defualt action?...
>>...a pain to have to 'mouse' on over to the cancel gadget.
>
>	Well Jeff, there is good news and bad news. First the good news.
>There are Amiga menu short cuts in V1.2 that apply to Autorequest
>requesters. The bad news is that the key assignments are not
>obvious. The short cuts are:
>	retry ==  LeftAmigakey + B
>	cancel == LeftAmigakey + V

I wish Randy would have made this comment during alpha phase, when
we requested input.  :-)

The rationale behind B and V is as follows:
    They are next to the M and N keys which (for some historical reason)
     bring the workbench to the front and back (with LeftAmiga qualifier).
    Not all autorequests make it clear which choice is "affirmative" and
     which "negative," so positional queueing has merit.
    Even ignoring the previous point, an initial/mnemonic choice of keys
     would need to be translated for different countries (and would change
     when a single machine owner used  different language set-ups).

So the good news is that there is no bad news!

I like the idea of "default choice" being available via carraige return,
but it's not always possible to retrofit consistent themes to something
out in the market.  BUT: there is a new feature which allows your application
to do such a thing.  Setting the NOISYREQ flag bit in the Requester structure
means that the requester being active will NOT inhibit normal input to
your window.  So if you set the RAWKEY IDCMPFlag in your window you can
hear all keystrokes while your requester is active, and act as you wish
on Return or whatever.  Bearing in mind that you can end a Requester under
program control, your requesters can now serve as mini-menus or what
have you, and can be more useful in keyboard-oriented applications.

Beta sites: try the new Requester features and report back soon if
they aren't behaving as advertised or there are gaps in functionality
that still prevent them from serving your needs.

			Thanks,
			    jimm

kdd@well.UUCP (Keith David Doyle) (05/29/86)

In article <1223@amiga.amiga.UUCP> jimm@homer.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) writes:
>Beta sites: try the new Requester features and report back soon if
>they aren't behaving as advertised or there are gaps in functionality
>that still prevent them from serving your needs.
>			    jimm

Speaking of which, does anyone who is working with 1.2 know if mutual-exclude
on gadgets works on 1.2?  What I've had to go through to simulate this on 1.1
since it was NYI is still terribly buggy.

Keith Doyle

page@ulowell.UUCP (Bob Page) (05/29/86)

Pop-up menus, via requesters!  The race is on ...

..Bob
--
UUCP: wanginst!ulowell!page	Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept
VOX:  +1 617 452 5000 x2233	Lowell MA 01854 USA

jdg@elmgate.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky) (05/29/86)

> So the good news is that there is no bad news!
>
> Beta sites: try the new Requester features and report back soon if
> they aren't behaving as advertised or there are gaps in functionality
> that still prevent them from serving your needs.
>
> 			Thanks,
> 			    jimm

Wrongo...
The bad news is, I ain't a beta site (sniff..) ....
I assume that only a limited number of developers got beta copies?
Oh well.... I'm patient (You have to be when your an Amiga delveloper.).
Thanks for the response!

             Reggie'd developer in waiting 8^) ,
                              Jeff

higgin@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) (06/01/86)

In article <1223@amiga.amiga.UUCP> jimm@homer.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) writes:
>In article <288@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> randy@cbmvax.UUCP (Randy Weiner) writes:
>>In article <431@elmgate.uucp> jdg@elmgate.uucp (Jeff Gortatowsky) writes:
>>>
>>>Does anyone know if Amiga Kernal 1.2 has changed the system requesters so
>>>that, say, pressing return causes a defualt action?...
>>>...a pain to have to 'mouse' on over to the cancel gadget.
>>
>>      Well Jeff, there is good news and bad news. First the good news.
>>There are Amiga menu short cuts in V1.2 that apply to Autorequest
>>requesters. The bad news is that the key assignments are not
>>obvious. The short cuts are:
>>      retry ==  LeftAmigakey + B
>>      cancel == LeftAmigakey + V
>>

>I wish Randy would have made this comment during alpha phase, when
>we requested input.  :-)
>
>The rationale behind B and V is as follows:
>    They are next to the M and N keys which (for some historical reason)
>     bring the workbench to the front and back (with LeftAmiga qualifier).
>    Not all autorequests make it clear which choice is "affirmative" and
>     which "negative," so positional queueing has merit.
>    Even ignoring the previous point, an initial/mnemonic choice of keys
>     would need to be translated for different countries (and would change
>     when a single machine owner used  different language set-ups).
>
>So the good news is that there is no bad news!
>
>I like the idea of "default choice" being available via carraige return,
>but it's not always possible to retrofit consistent themes to something
>out in the market.  BUT: there is a new feature which allows your application
>to do such a thing.  Setting the NOISYREQ flag bit in the Requester structure
>means that the requester being active will NOT inhibit normal input to
>your window.  So if you set the RAWKEY IDCMPFlag in your window you can
>hear all keystrokes while your requester is active, and act as you wish
>on Return or whatever.  Bearing in mind that you can end a Requester under
>program control, your requesters can now serve as mini-menus or what
>have you, and can be more useful in keyboard-oriented applications.
>
>Beta sites: try the new Requester features and report back soon if
>they aren't behaving as advertised or there are gaps in functionality
>that still prevent them from serving your needs.
>
>                       Thanks,
>                           jimm

<chomp...>

        Regards, Paul Higginbottom

Disclaimer: I do not work for Commodore, and my opinions are at least my own.

higgin@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom) (06/01/86)

<...>
Mucho apologies for re-posting a message before... anyway, Jim (Mackraz), I
would try out this NOISYSREQ stuff, but I can't use 1.2 with Aztec C.
Is it likely to work in the future?  Or rather, will 1.2 be able to run 3.2a
Aztec?  I realize Aztec will be updated to 1.2.  If/when it will, I will try
out these marvelous features in 1.2 - they look very exciting.

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (06/01/86)

In article <349@ulowell.UUCP> page@ulowell.UUCP (Bob Page) writes:

>Pop-up menus, via requesters!  The race is on ...
>
>..Bob

I'm curious about what Bob means..  I could use a good race.

I tried, in 1.2, to make Requesters a usable entity, after seeing lots
of programs use Windows (or other!) in their stead.  The one feature I had
to slip was draggable Requesters (not too hard, but would have required
hacking up a lot of stuff that took a long time to make work).

If there are any holes in what Requester functionality (or bugs when
the situation gets complicated) I will only find out about it from you
folks.  My message: please try some things during our short Beta phase.

		thanks,
		jimm.

jdt@bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP (Dave Tenny) (06/02/86)

I received my 1.2 beta yesterday.  If you are registered, yours will
presumably arrive shortly.  Neat stuff.
(aside, I like the LINES demo, If deluxe paint would give me a larger
 screen to scroll over, I might buy it...)
Jeffrey D. Tenny

page@ulowell.UUCP (Bob Page) (06/03/86)

In article <1247@amiga.amiga.UUCP> jimm@homer.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) writes:

>>Pop-up menus, via requesters!  The race is on ...
>>..Bob
>
>I'm curious about what Bob means..  I could use a good race.

I meant just that.  I am not a fan of pull-down menus, where you have to
keep your finger on the mouse button, etc.  What I'd rather see is:

User brings the mouse to some area on the display and clicks the 'menu'
button.  Instead of a row of items across the top of the screen, a
menu structure appears, centered under the position of the mouse.
From there, user can do whatever s/he wants (including ignoring the
menu).  When the time is right, the user can click the 'select'
button over the menu item desired.  If that creates a sub-menu, then
that's what happens ... again, centered under the current mouse pointer.
when the final selection (last in the submenus or whatever) is
selected, the menu goes away.

If the user decided that the 'menu' button wasn't what was wanted,
just clicking the 'menu' button again clears the menu.

These pop-up menus would be easy to implement with the new
requesters under 1.2 ... the only hard work would be getting
in front of Intuition for menu selections ... and that ain't hard!

Of course it would mean a new user-interface for the Amiga ...
instead of pull-down menus, you get pop-up menus.   Actually, Jim,
I don't see why Intuition couldn't provide these via a prefererences
switch, or other such means.  Any thoughts?

BTW, thanks for *really* fixing the DisplayBeep() problem in beta 2.
I won't mess with you.

..Bob