[net.sf-lovers] Gor

steve@avsdS.UUCP (07/23/83)

----- Mail saved at Fri Jul 22 17:44:35 1983
To: dsd!fortune!amd70!decwrl!decvax!tektronix!uw-beaver!cornell!vax135!ariel!hou5f!hou5e!hou5d!hogpc!houxm!hocda!spanky!burl!sb1!ll1!otuxa!lsk

well......

the titles go something like  "XXXXXX of GOR".

they should be read starting from volume one (up to about 18 now...)

if you like sex....AND E.R.Borroughs, you should be ok for about the first
seven or eight volumes.

THEN.....you'll probably be stuck, like me, waiting for the end of the story.

steve
ampex, avsd
redwood city,ca

(sorry 'bout not mailing this back to lsk, but our mailer barfed at the
address when i tried the 'r' option of readnews....it got worse when i
tried the 'f' option)

steve@avsdS.UUCP (07/23/83)

this is a test....this is ONLY a test......

MARKT@MIT-XX@sri-unix.UUCP (08/01/83)

From:  Mark <MARKT@MIT-XX>

Most of the Gor books are shlock, but there was one book in the
series that I liked -- the first book, "Tarnsman of Gor".  The plot
was fast-paced and involving, and there was hardly any subjugation
or muscle-flexing.  The only problem with "Tarnsman of Gor" is that
it might prompt you to read the other books in the series.  The
second book is somewhat bearable, but after that, they all seem to
be ridiculous.

-------

ecl@mtgzz.UUCP (e.c.leeper) (10/24/85)

> >Others have suggested that John Norman's Gor series treat women in a
> >radically different way than most other authors, but I haven't had a
> >chance to read any of those books.
>
> "Different" is the operative word.  As in "nobody else gets away with
					     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> such sexist trash".  In all fairness, the first book is excellent and
> doesn't foreshadow his future treatment of women.  I've heard that the
> first seven are good and the last thirty-odd are trash.  (I read a random
				    ^^^^^^^^^^
> sample in the teens and twenties (three of them), and it really took
> some arm twisting for a friend to convince me to read the first one).

There are currently only 21 "Gor" novels.  Perhaps a 22nd has just hit the
stands, but nowhere near "thirty-odd".  (List after signature!)  He's also
written the non-Gor books GHOST DANCE, IMAGINATIVE SEX, and TIME SLAVE.

And Sharon Green (another DAW author) writes novels similar to John Norman (her
books are blurbed as "If you liked John Norman, you'll love Sharon Green!"

					Evelyn C. Leeper
					...ihnp4!mtgzz!ecl

*	       Get a Usenetter on the ballot at Confederation!               *
*	Nominate MARK R. LEEPER for Hugo for Best Fan Writer in 1986!        *

John Norman's "Gor" Books:
    1	Tarnsman of Gor	         12	Beasts of Gor
    2	Outlaw of Gor	         13	Explorers of Gor
    3	Priest-Kings of	Gor      14	Fighting Slave of Gor
    4	Nomads of Gor	         15	Rogue of Gor
    5	Assassin of Gor	         16	Guardsman of Gor
    6	Raiders	of Gor	         17	Savages of Gor
    7	Captive	of Gor	         18	Blood Brothers of Gor
    8	Hunters	of Gor	         19	Kajira of Gor
    9	Marauders of Gor         20	Players of Gor
   10	Tribesman of Gor         21	Mercenaries of Gor
   11	Slave Girl of Gor