[net.micro.amiga] Language :-)

glenn@c3pe.UUCP (D. Glenn Arthur Jr.) (06/02/86)

This isn't terribly relevant, so I'll keep it short:

In article <2533@pogo.UUCP>, richr@pogo.UUCP (Rich Rodgers) writes:
> Many people are currently running their Amiga's (Amigi ??) with a 68010.

If we want to but cute and classical, imitating Greek or Latin, I think
the plural of "Amiga" should be "Amigai" (Greek, first declension, feminine).
An alternative is to be even more pretensious and consider that because
each Amiga is a collection of processors (CPU, Blitter, etc.) "Amiga" is
already plural, in which case the singular wouldbe "Amigon" (Greek again,
second declension, neuter).  Do you think of your computer as "she" or "it"
(or "them")?  :-)

I also refer to different versions of Unix as "Unices", by the way, in which
it seems I'm not alone.  Stand up for classy plurals!

					D. Glenn Arthur Jr.
					..!seismo!dolqci!hqhomes!glenn

eric@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Eric Cotton) (06/03/86)

In article <119@c3pe.UUCP> glenn@c3pe.UUCP (D. Glenn Arthur Jr.) writes:
>This isn't terribly relevant, so I'll keep it short:
>
>In article <2533@pogo.UUCP>, richr@pogo.UUCP (Rich Rodgers) writes:
>> Many people are currently running their Amiga's (Amigi ??) with a 68010.
>
>If we want to but cute and classical, imitating Greek or Latin, I think
>the plural of "Amiga" should be "Amigai" (Greek, first declension, feminine).
>An alternative is to be even more pretensious and consider that because
>each Amiga is a collection of processors (CPU, Blitter, etc.) "Amiga" is
>already plural, in which case the singular wouldbe "Amigon" (Greek again,
>second declension, neuter).  Do you think of your computer as "she" or "it"
>(or "them")?  :-)
>
>I also refer to different versions of Unix as "Unices", by the way, in which
>it seems I'm not alone.  Stand up for classy plurals!

I always assumed Amiga to be the feminine form of the Spanish word 'friend'.
If such is the case, the plural form of Amiga is Amigas (or las Amigas)!

	Eric Cotton

--

"My hovercraft is full of eels."

/*========================================================================*/
/*====    UUCP: {ihnp4 | allegra | seismo}!cbmvax!eric                ====*/
/*====      or: pyramid!amiga!eric                                    ====*/
/*====    ARPA: cbmvax!eric@seismo                                    ====*/
/*==== US mail: Commodore Technology                                  ====*/
/*====          1200 Wilson Drive                                     ====*/
/*====          West Chester, PA 19380                                ====*/
/*====   phone: (215) 431-9180                                        ====*/
/*========================================================================*/

jdg@elmgate.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky) (06/04/86)

In article <119@c3pe.UUCP>, glenn@c3pe.UUCP (D. Glenn Arthur Jr.) writes:
>Do you think of your computer as "she" or "it" > (or "them")?  :-)
>
> 					D. Glenn Arthur Jr.
> 					..!seismo!dolqci!hqhomes!glenn

She.
Beautiful, but unpredictable.

--
Jeff Gortatowsky       {allegra,seismo}!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jdg
Eastman Kodak Company