[net.micro.amiga] 1.2 Updates: Lattice libraries

dillon@PAVEPAWS.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (05/20/86)

	What about those of us who bought the $450 developer's kit.  Will
we receive the 1.2 updates for Lattice C (Etc...).   (Note: my question
pertains to the extra developer's disks, not workbench and kickstart,
which we will be able to get anyway from our dealer)

	If not, how can we obtain said materials?

						Thanks,

						-Matt

randy@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Randy Weiner) (05/21/86)

In article <8605201910.AA23292@pavepaws> dillon@PAVEPAWS.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

>	What about those of us who bought the $450 developer's kit.  Will
>we receive the 1.2 updates for Lattice C (Etc...).   (Note: my question
>pertains to the extra developer's disks, not workbench and kickstart,
>which we will be able to get anyway from our dealer)

	Those people who purchased the $450.00 kit will receive their
updates directly from Commodore. For now, we are concentrating our
efforts on beta V1.2. Therefore, the update will consist of
KS and WB, documentation updates. We have no information regarding
the next release of the compiler, etc.

	Please note, the $450.00 does not include free-lifetime
updates. The 1.2 update will probably be your last. In either case,
your name(s) will be maintained on our mailing list. When an update
is available, you will be notified as to how and when to obtain it.
I suggest everyone mail in the registration post-cards. This will
insure that you receive notification on updates.
--
     + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Randy Weiner -- Commodore Business Machines <<Amiga Technical Support>>

dillon@PAVEPAWS.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (05/22/86)

	Thank you.

				-Matt

perry@well.UUCP (05/27/86)

In article <269@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>, randy@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Randy Weiner) writes:
> 	Please note, the $450.00 does not include free-lifetime
> updates. The 1.2 update will probably be your last. In either case,
> your name(s) will be maintained on our mailing list. When an update
> is available, you will be notified as to how and when to obtain it.

Randy,
	What kind of cheap shot is this? Whatsa matter you guys starting
to feel confident so you're  starting  to screw the people who made your
product? Listen fella.  Developers  are  entirely responsible for market
acceptence of the Amiga. Jerk us around and cut your own throat. Got it?

	By the way, the 450 DID claim to include updates. Don't give  us
this bunk.

	Perry S. Kivolowitz

----------

	BTW I encourage every developer to make their views known.
	We put up when the Amiga was a risk. We want our due and
	certainly what we paid for.

nick@hp-sdd.UUCP (Nick Flor) (05/27/86)

In article <1158@well.UUCP> perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) writes:
>In article <269@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>, randy@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Randy Weiner) writes:
>> 	Please note, the $450.00 does not include free-lifetime
>> updates. The 1.2 update will probably be your last. In either case,
>> your name(s) will be maintained on our mailing list. When an update
>> is available, you will be notified as to how and when to obtain it.
>
>Randy,
>	What kind of cheap shot is this? Whatsa matter you guys starting
>to feel confident so you're  starting  to screw the people who made your
>product? Listen fella.  Developers  are  entirely responsible for market
>acceptence of the Amiga. Jerk us around and cut your own throat. Got it?
>
>	By the way, the 450 DID claim to include updates. Don't give  us
>this bunk.
>
>	Perry S. Kivolowitz
>
>----------
>
>	BTW I encourage every developer to make their views known.
>	We put up when the Amiga was a risk. We want our due and
>	certainly what we paid for.
Well put Perry.  I work my ass off every night trying to get my products
done.  Anyone who has done serious programming knows what a hassle it is
when you first start to program on the Amiga, even when you get proficient,
things are still a hassle.  I hope this non-update rule does not apply to
the $1900 registered developers.  The $450 developers are a lower class,
do what you will with them.
The important thing is to get the errata sheets out to the developers.
Anyone can get a copy of the newest operating system.  Dealers, people
on the net, etc. etc. etc.....

Now, will someone help me with my SPSin, SPCos routine problems.
Does anyone have a program that uses SPSin, SPCos.  Mandelbroth doesn't.
Help!  Or am I going to have to write my own Sin/Cos routines???

Also, I'd like to hear from any of you developers out there who have
marketed a product.  (As I am close to that stage now..)

Nick
HP San Diego - Where Ultra-Rogue is a way of life.
(The part about the 450's being a lower class was a joke.  Most of the
 developers I know are 450's and have done a helluva lot for the Amiga.)
--

----------
Nick V. Flor

"You going to help me find a Thylacine?"
'Nope'
"But IBob needs the whiskers to close the gaps between our world and the next.
 Hideous creatures are pouring through even as we speak"
'What hideous creatures?'
"Richard Simmons! John McEnroe! Mary Lou Retton! Sally Jessie Raphael!
 I hardly know where to stop"

-- The Badger to the Wombat

rogue@well.UUCP (L. Brett Glass) (05/28/86)

In article <1158@well.UUCP> perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) writes:
>In article <269@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>, randy@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Randy Weiner) writes:
>> 	Please note, the $450.00 does not include free-lifetime
>> updates. The 1.2 update will probably be your last. In either case,
>> your name(s) will be maintained on our mailing list. When an update
>> is available, you will be notified as to how and when to obtain it.
>
>Randy,
>	What kind of cheap shot is this? Whatsa matter you guys starting
>to feel confident so you're  starting  to screw the people who made your
>product? Listen fella.  Developers  are  entirely responsible for market
>acceptence of the Amiga. Jerk us around and cut your own throat. Got it?
>
>	By the way, the 450 DID claim to include updates. Don't give  us
>this bunk.
>
>	Perry S. Kivolowitz
>
>----------
>
>	BTW I encourage every developer to make their views known.
>	We put up when the Amiga was a risk. We want our due and
>	certainly what we paid for.

Well, while I don't agree with the >tone< of Perry's message, I do endorse
his sentiments. Commodore seems to be "screwing the people who made [the]
product" both internally (by laying off vital and superior engineers) and
externally (by arbitrarily cutting off support for developers, as documented
above). If the Amiga is to survive, Commodore MUST learn the lessons that
Apple, DRI, and Atari have learned: your developers are your life's blood.
They must be encouraged -- nay, coddled -- and given every possible incentive
to do their best work. The Macintosh, made by cash-flush Apple Computer,
nearly failed when they forgot this.

I speak not only as a developer but as a partisan of the Amiga computer who
wants very much for it to succeed. It tears my guts out each time I see
Commodore threatening to destroy its hope for the future. Perhaps West Chester
ought to sell Amiga to a company that knows the computer business, rather than
dragging the Amiga down with the ship.

-- Brett Glass

mitsu@well.UUCP (Mitsuharu Hadeishi) (05/28/86)

ell.UUCP> <241@hp-sdd.UUCP>

	I hope you people at West Chester realize the wisdom of a
little extra money spent on intelligent support services.  We here
on the West Coast, including Electronic Arts, Aegis, and many other
developers and artists working with the Amiga, deserve and require
continued support for the Los Gatos facility.  A computer is made
from the sum total of the quality work done on the machine, and there
is a many-fold return on the dollar for local, direct, and frank
technical support for the people trying to do this quality work.
I realize you at West Chester are going to do your damndnest, but I
hope you can appreciate our desire for the healthy continuation of
the development and support work done at Los Gatos in the past few months.
A great deal of the Amiga's initial success has been due to the creative
work done there, and every effort you put in continuing that creativity
will return to you many times over.  There has been a dampening of
enthusiasm for the Amiga due to the problems reported here, but especially
due to the perception that Los Gatos is not getting the continued
support it deserves.  I am aware of one company that is suspending
work for the Amiga because of this perception, and even AutoDesk
had been contemplating work for the Amiga, but the diminishment of
Los Gatos support has caused one developer out here to say that they
are holding off on Amiga development as a result.  For the small
savings in operational expenses you get from diminishing Los Gatos
you get a massive future loss of revenue because there will be
a backlash of cancelled or postponed projects that otherwise would have
gone ahead for the Amiga.  This is irresponsible and unwise, and
I hope you will do your best to bolster the Los Gatos facility
even in this difficult period.

mykes@3comvax.UUCP (05/28/86)

I am not an official developer, but only because I did not want to spend $450
for a compiler and assembler that I would not want to use, and for manuals that
I could buy for $85 in the store.  I do not feel that I should pay to get
support from CBM, because in return for their support, I am supporting them
(i.e. maybe my products will sell an Amiga or two).

However, Randy Weiner's announcement that those who did pay the $450 to get
support will not be getting it in the future is totally contrary to what's
been going on at CBM and Amiga these days.  First of all, since day one, the
Amiga has been billed as a third party supported machine.  Second, CBM just
fired the people who were capable of providing Amiga applications for the CBM
label.  And third, CBM (probably unaware of the fracus is would cause)
announces diminished support for their third part developers.

Listen folks, I have never felt so confident that the Amiga is going to be
a big big success.  The layoffs are coming at the most opportune time, as
far as the computer is concerned.  InfoWorld revued the Amiga very early in
its history, and gave it bad reviews because the software crashed a lot.  They
revued version 1.0 of the software, which those of us who used it know was
very buggy.  I got my copy of 1.1 a week before the InfoWorld revue hit the
stands, and 1.1 has been a 1000% improvement.  1.1 has been in 3rd party
developers' hands for a long time now, and more than a few applications have
had a decent operating system to be developed under.

Now 1.2 is about to come out, and future machines will have 1.2 Kickstart
(Rom Kernel) in real ROM.  Despite the power and flexability of having
this stuff in the write-once store on present Amigas, future machines can
be made cheaper due to the layoffs and the fact that Rom is cheaper than
Ram.  1.2 figures to be much improved over 1.1, with much more power and
speed and with many more bugs fixed.  1.2 and ROM may spell DOOM for a few
people we became close to (we'll miss Bob Parisseau and all the others who
have contributed to our understanding of the technology of this great machine),
but it also means that for the first time, the Amiga is actually a finished
product.

As soon as they are available, I'm buying a 1MB ram card from Cardco
(Witchita Kansas, sorry no other info at my fingertips).  I can't wait to get
genlock, a frame grabber/digitizer, an audio digitizer, a hard disk, a 68020,
more Ram, and especially the Sidecar (me and 50,000 other Amiga owners :).
The sidecar is actually the most interesting product I have heard about -
it provides me with IBM compatible slots so I can buy cheapo IBM peripherals
anywhere for my amiga.  Hard cards (30MB of hard disk on an IBM card) and
Ram will be most useful.  Oh yeah, as a side benefit, you also can run IBM
PC software (right now, it would be nice, but Amiga applications figure to be
presented so much better).

CBM has a far superior product to anything in the Micro market, and it is
really a shame that they are being run by the banks.  It's also a shame that
CBM has never known what they got when they got the Amiga.  CBM has probably
sold more computers than ANYONE, including IBM (count all those Vic 20s, Pets,
C64s, 128s, and Amigas).  With the Amiga, they will continue to sell more
for years to come.  Atari is not necessarily blowing the Amiga out of the
water, but they do have a nice machine for less money.  A lot of people who
already have Ataris probably already have them on the shelf.  A lot of people
who will be buying computers will be buying the Amiga.  By September, I expect
a flood of completed Amiga software and hardware products, and hopefully
CBM will at least give the machine a chance with a little support - like
good relations with the 3rd parties it is relying on (are we ready to take
the blame if the machine fails? :) and good advertising (no wonder the banks
took over after CBM piddled $40 Million down the drain on weak ads).

my $.02

jdg@elmgate.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky) (05/29/86)

In article <1158@well.UUCP>, perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) writes:
> In article <269@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>, randy@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Randy Weiner) writes:
> > 	Please note, the $450.00 does not include free-lifetime
> > updates. The 1.2 update will probably be your last. In either case,
> > your name(s) will be maintained on our mailing list. When an update
> > is available, you will be notified as to how and when to obtain it.
>
> Randy,
> 	What kind of cheap shot is this? Whatsa matter you guys starting
> to feel confident so you're  starting  to screw the people who made your
> product? Listen fella.  Developers  are  entirely responsible for market
> acceptence of the Amiga. Jerk us around and cut your own throat. Got it?
>
> 	By the way, the 450 DID claim to include updates. Don't give  us
> this bunk.
>
> 	Perry S. Kivolowitz
>
> ----------
>
> 	BTW I encourage every developer to make their views known.
> 	We put up when the Amiga was a risk. We want our due and
> 	certainly what we paid for.

Fine, since you asked (or encouraged).
I think C-A has been MORE than reasonable with their update policy.
Look Perry, you write for a magazine right? You KNOW printing costs money.
Disks cost money.  Mailing costs money.  Money is THE one thing C-A CAN NOT
SQUANDER at this point in time.  Damn I've receive one free update (1.1)
already.  And that included two HUGE 1.1 RKM manuals. They are damn
expensive to print!

$400 bucks for Manx C gets me one free year of updates, probably work out to
two updates. So why should $450 get you lifetime updates?  One or two is
VERY reasonable given the current software market policies.

So in short, fine CBM-Amiga.  If 1.2 is my last freebie, so be it. I enjoy
programming the Amiga and want THE lastest tools.  So if I wanna play I got
pay.

Now if the update prices are unreasonable, THEN I'll be singing anther
tune!!

san@bubba.UUCP (05/30/86)

Perhaps all of my opinions have been expressed at some other time, but what the
hell, I'll take that chance, so... here's some rambling!

My background with the Amiga is as follows, I am a registered developer
(via buying the developers machine from CBM) and have been so since late '85.
Because of this, I can only speak from that point of view, while venturing
opinions on other peoples situation.

I have appreciated all of the efforts that the technical (and other) staff
at CBM have made to help developers.  It appears that there may be some
confusion as to what qualifies as a developer and/or what qualifies as
a supported developer, etc.  Perhaps the clarification was not made up
front, I dont know, but I've seen it here on the net recently.  It
appears to me that if you consider the $450 package from CBM to be like
any other commercial software package, their support policy is very generous,
and in fact appears to be better than most.

I am very happy with the level of support (which includes updates) I have
received from CBM.  They have been prompt with updates, their
technical staff is easily accessible (and in fact many of them were reached
by calling CBM and asking for people I saw on the net (y'all are doubly
appreciated !)), and in general I don't have any complaints.  Please note
that I am NOT differentiating between the people in WestChester or Los Gatos,
because I haven't been keeping a score card on indiviuals or groups, but
just one scorecard on the whole ball-of-wax, i.e. lets not start prophesing
doom just because the people in Pa. are now taking up the reins.

Concerning the issues of layoffs, unquestionably it is disappointing, but
I (for one) will not pretend to be familiar with Commodores whole situation,
from the outside it is disappointing that these people will not be working
with Commodore anymore, and can there be any question that the people we have
all heard of will be missed in many ways?  Unfortunately, it (seems to be)
that the nature of business is such that a large number of issues must be
dealt with, and that what may appear to us as a mistake, may be in
Commodores best interest.  On the other hand, they could be *royally*
screwing up , I don't know, I just don't have enough info. (and probably never
will, as I'm not "tight" with people inside Commodore :-).

I don't intend to sound like someone merrily skipping to whatever beat they
provide me with, but I do wish to say I'm generally happy w/CBM. I don't
envy their position, CBM is a company trying to do the things which most
other companies in the US do, compete, make a profit and stay alive (to
list a few).  I seriously doubt that anyone who is trying to develop for
the Amiga could claim to have not at least suspected that CBM was shaky,
that was an issue way back in the middle of '85, as it is now.

To anyone who feels strongly about issues w/CBM, I seriously suggest that
you write to someone at CBM (such as the CEO/President).  Posting
psuedo-political articles on the net is usefull, but I rather doubt that
the top management reads USENET.

After all of this serious writing, I can't help wondering whether any one
of us could get this stirred up over an IBM-PC... &-}

	Steve

--
Steve Sanderson, COSI Texas
		 4412 Spicewood Springs, Suite 801 Austin, Texas 78759

dillon@PAVEPAWS.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (05/31/86)

	Well, I'm a $450 developer.  I don't care about FREE updates....
$10-$20 is fine with me, but I do wish Commodore-Amiga would get off
their ass and push Lattice into fixing the 'official' C compiler.  So far,
all I see is a port from their generic junk (for other microcomputers),
hacked up for the 68000...  They probably even use the same stdio library.

					-Matt

mitsu@well.UUCP (Mitsuharu Hadeishi) (06/01/86)

ell.UUCP> <1162@well.UUCP> <524@3comvax.UUCP>

	I sincerely hope you people at Commodore realize the step
you are taking in reducing third-party developer support.  You may
think you are saving the bottom line, but increasingly developers
have been suspending projects out here (on the West Coast) because
they hear of what you are doing to Los Gatos.  I hate to post this
publicly, because I love my Amiga and I do not want to hurt its
chances in the market, but I feel strong words are necessary to make
you guys in Pennsylvania listen up.  THIS IS A STUPID MOVE.  You
are alienating developers and hurting your own future.  The Amiga
may not be the Number 1 seller in your inventory, but it sure is
your only chance to survive in the future.  If you blow this one,
you're not going to get a second chance.  There are new graphics
chips coming out from the chip makers, and your only advantage at
this point is the strong third-party development community you have
behind the Amiga, and the year and a half or so head start you have
over every other manufacturer (as far as an affordable blitter-based
graphics engine is concerned).  THAT'S WHAT YOU HAVE, SO DON'T
SQUANDER IT.  The Commodore 64 is not going to last forever.  The
political situation in West Chester obviously is favoring the C-64
and -128 people, since they are the ones selling the most machines,
but you Americans should wake up and realize that politics is not
the way to run a company.  Every time politics has taken over, the
company suffers; look at GM, look at Apple during the Mac-II wars.
Perhaps it is inevitable what you are doing to Los Gatos; if that is
really true, forgive me.  But I don't think so.  Please put away
your egos and wake up to the fact that the Amiga is the most
valuable egg in your basket, and quit f-----g with us.
				Mitsu (mitsu@well.UUCP)

*FLAME OFF*

kdd@well.UUCP (Keith David Doyle) (06/02/86)

In article <444@elmgate.UUCP> jdg@elmgate.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky) writes:
>In article <1158@well.UUCP>, perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) writes:
>> In article <269@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>, randy@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Randy Weiner) writes:
>> > 	Please note, the $450.00 does not include free-lifetime
>> > updates. The 1.2 update will probably be your last. In either case,

>> 	What kind of cheap shot is this? Whatsa matter you guys starting
>> to feel confident so you're  starting  to screw the people who made your
>> product? Listen fella.  Developers  are  entirely responsible for market
>>
>I think C-A has been MORE than reasonable with their update policy.

I too, think that making 1.2 our last free update is perfectly reasonable.
C-A can hardly be expected to keep shelling out the $$ it costs for updates
indefinately.

However, I (and several other developers I expect) would certainly
appreciate it if C-A would figure out some way to provide for update of the
graphics chip so that the early developers can get the version that supports
'halfbrite' mode.  C-A can charge enough to cover expenses (and I don't
care if they have to take orders in advance to do it).

Keith Doyle

ross@ulowell.UUCP (Ross) (06/03/86)

In article <444@elmgate.UUCP> jdg@elmgate.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky) writes:
>In article <1158@well.UUCP>, perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) writes:
>> In article <269@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>, randy@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Randy Weiner) writes:
>> > 	Please note, the $450.00 does not include free-lifetime
>> > updates. The 1.2 update will probably be your last. In either case,
>> > your name(s) will be maintained on our mailing list. When an update
>> > is available, you will be notified as to how and when to obtain it.
>>
>> Randy,
>> 	What kind of cheap shot is this? Whatsa matter you guys starting
>
>Fine, since you asked (or encouraged).
>I think C-A has been MORE than reasonable with their update policy.
>Look Perry, you write for a magazine right? You KNOW printing costs money.
>Disks cost money.  Mailing costs money.  Money is THE one thing C-A CAN NOT
>SQUANDER at this point in time.  Damn I've receive one free update (1.1)
>already.  And that included two HUGE 1.1 RKM manuals. They are damn
>expensive to print!
>
>$400 bucks for Manx C gets me one free year of updates, probably work out to
>two updates. So why should $450 get you lifetime updates?  One or two is
>VERY reasonable given the current software market policies.
>
>So in short, fine CBM-Amiga.  If 1.2 is my last freebie, so be it. I enjoy
>programming the Amiga and want THE lastest tools.  So if I wanna play I got
>pay.
>
>Now if the update prices are unreasonable, THEN I'll be singing anther
>tune!!
Fine, I signed a ten year non-disclosure agreement with Commodore, so I
should get ten years of free updates.  Hmmm, I wonder if breach of contract
sneaks in here; just kidding.  I think that Commodore has done a great
support job, but I am really working on a product and if I don't get free
updates then I will not bother to update the product for the updates that
Commodore produces.  The end result for the Amiga market if many developers
like myself do this, Chaos!

							Ross Miller

	"The excecutioner shall soon live."

jdg@elmgate.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky) (06/03/86)

In article <1193@well.UUCP>, kdd@well.UUCP (Keith David Doyle) writes:
> However, I (and several other developers I expect) would certainly
> appreciate it if C-A would figure out some way to provide for update of the
> graphics chip so that the early developers can get the version that supports
> 'halfbrite' mode.  C-A can charge enough to cover expenses (and I don't
> care if they have to take orders in advance to do it).
>
> Keith Doyle

Funny you should mention this Keith.  I've mentioned the subject several
times to C-A with no response.  I had an idea or two that would've fit
nicely into the 'half-brite' mode.  Alas, my Amiga won't perculate (SP?)
with that mode (sniff).  I even offered to send back the old ones if they
wanted them (I don't know why).  But never got a response.  Odds are we
wouldn't like the price they'd have to charge anyways 8->.

--
Jeff Gortatowsky       {allegra,seismo}!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jdg
Eastman Kodak Company

jdg@elmgate.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky) (06/04/86)

In article <368@ulowell.UUCP> ross@ulowell.UUCP (Ross) writes:
>Fine, I signed a ten year non-disclosure agreement with Commodore, so I
>should get ten years of free updates.  Hmmm, I wonder if breach of contract
>sneaks in here; just kidding.  I think that Commodore has done a great
>support job, but I am really working on a product and if I don't get free
>updates then I will not bother to update the product for the updates that
>Commodore produces.  The end result for the Amiga market if many developers
>like myself do this, Chaos!
>
>							Ross Miller
>
>	"The excecutioner shall soon live."

In other words Ross, you'd let your possibly profitable product die a slow
death because updates from CBM were not free.  Forgive me, but this seems
like cutting your nose off to spite your face.  A customer updates or buys
the lastest Amiga with the new rev OS.  Sees your product, buys it, gets it
home.  He tries to use it and something in the program crashes the Amiga due
to new code in the OS.

He calls you. "Hey your program just crashed my computer."
You: " Well what version of Kickstart are you using?"
Customer: "Whats that?"
You: "The software that starts your Amiga."
Customer: "Ummm... I don't know I just bought it."
You: "Then you probably have a new version that we don't support."
Customer: "WHAT! It said 512k 2 drive Amiga on the package."
You "I'm sorry.  But we just don't support the new release. Perhaps you
     can take it back to the place you bought it and get a refund."
Customer: "But... but.. my dealer's 60 miles away!"
You: "I'm sorry, there's nothing else I can do. You see since CBM won't
      upgrade our software for free, we're not upgrading our package
      for the new Amiga kickstart."
Customer: " You mean CBM gives away software for free? Where can I get it?"
You: "No No.  Not consumer software, just developers.  You see we paid
      $450 for software from CBM and now they say they can't or won't
      give us free updates. "
Customer: "But your software says updates are available for $30.  How
           come your updates aren't free? Updates? What am I saying!
           Your package doesn't even RUN! I just dumped $xxx for your
           software!! Besides at work we had to pay $125 to upgrade
           our Lotus 123 and another $xxx for Framework. So what's
            the difference?"
You: "Well we're developers. I'm really sorry but..<CLICK>.... Hello? Hello?"

Now our intrepid consumer tries to get his money back.  Unfortunatly the
shrink wrap licensing agreement states that no promises are made that this
program will run on anything.  So after a lengthy battle he exchanges
your package for a $6 mouse pad, vowing to never buy any software from that
dealer or your company again.  The dealer takes two valium and vows never
to purchase your software from the distributer, since it doesn't run on
the Amiga anyways and also has visions of false claims legal action.. etc.

Note: The above is fiction but serves to get the point across.
      Also is somewhat tongue in cheek..but again a point is made.