[net.micro.amiga] Netnews + UNIX support routines

wagner@utcs.uucp (06/06/86)

In article <1210@well.UUCP> rogue@well.UUCP (L. Brett Glass) writes:

>Well, now that you can put something on your desk with the power of an Amiga,
>all a VAX is GOOD for is netnews, Email and games. Perhaps CBM ought to
>devote the VAX just to those functions, and give everyone else an Amiga
>or a Sun.... ;-) <rogue>

Actually, we're considering porting 'C news' (a much faster and smaller
version of netnews) to the amiga after it comes out of Alpha test.
Of course, I'm hoping hard disks come along soon, else there isn't much
point in running netnews on an amiga.  But, at the very least, it would
get reasonable response and display speeds, so I don't spend all morning
watching my screen dawdle at 1200 baud.  Let the 1200 baud stuff happen
in the middle of the night.

Along those lines, does anyone have a unix-emulation library for the
amiga (sort of like MACLibrary).  What I'm looking for is a subroutine
library that translates unix standard subroutines into the equivalent
(where that exists) amiga routines.  Now I know that not all of the
equivalent routines exist (the file system is different in some
important areas, likewise the kernel/exec), but some do, and similar
ones exist in many places.  I'm not looking for automatic, plug-in-and-run
support...just assistance.

I seem to recall that some package I saw come across the network had a
partial implementation of this (to get the work done), but I don't remember
where it was.  Kermit?  HACK?	Anyone remember?

Michael