[net.micro.amiga] MMu's

dillon@PAVEPAWS.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (06/08/86)

	MMU		-Memory Management Unit (either on the CPU board/chip or another
			 co-processor.

	MAT		-Memory address translator (a VAT with huge page sizes)
	VAT		-Virtual address translator

	Additionaly, some processors support 'memory protection' via some internal
registers which simply supply a 'range' of allowed addresses.  The difference
between this and a real MMU (MAT/VAT) is that it doesn't allow disjoint
memory segments (or a limited number of disjoint memory segments)

	My personal opinion is that I wouldn't even think of implimenting UNIX
without an MMU.... I have no desire to wait 5+ minutes for the machine to
reboot every time a program crashes.

					-Matt

fnf@unisoft.UUCP (Fred Fish) (06/09/86)

In article <8606081922.AA03584@pavepaws> dillon@PAVEPAWS.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>	My personal opinion is that I wouldn't even think of implimenting UNIX
>without an MMU.... I have no desire to wait 5+ minutes for the machine to
>reboot every time a program crashes.

Not to mention accumulating a reputation for having buggy system software
everytime some bozo's application blows you out of the water.  When the
machine freezes up or goes berzerk at seemingly random times, the average
non-computer user is going to blame Unix and the organization responsible
for supplying it...

-Fred

In article <8606081922.AA03584@pavepaws> dillon@PAVEPAWS.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

>	My personal opinion is that I wouldn't even think of implimenting UNIX
>without an MMU.... I have no desire to wait 5+ minutes for the machine to
>reboot every time a program crashes.
>
>					-Matt

Yes, and don't forget the hours needed to rebuild/veryify the filesystem
after a program dropped little cookies on the blocks and inodes innocently
cached in memory then written back onto the disk...

---
Mommy, Mommy they built another computer without an MMU...  That's ok
Junior, sometimes things just happen that way...  But when you grow up!!!
--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr