[net.micro.amiga] Toshiba 1340 printer -- will it work?

nilsd@proper.UUCP (05/15/86)

<is there a line eater still?>
I am thinking of buying a Toshiba 1340 printer to attach to the Amiga I
will buy this weekend.  Is this a good idea?  Namely, will I be able to use
it for a)(most important) text, b)(less important) graphics?  Are there
drivers available, etc?  If not, is it within reason to write my own
(at least) special (bold-face, underline, etc.) text driver?

Please mail me replies, or if they are really interesting, you can post
them.  Thanks in advance,

Nils Davis

etc.

>>Just because something is pretty doesn't mean it's good to eat.<<

Nils Davis   (415) 638-4075 (w)  (415) 547-4850 (h)
5445 Broadway #4, Oakland, CA  94618 (home)
{qantel, dual, intelca, amdahl, well}!proper!nilsd
--

etc.

Just because something is pretty doesn't mean it's good to eat.

Nils Davis   (415) 638-4075 (w)  (415) 547-4850 (h)
5445 Broadway #4, Oakland, CA  94618 (home)
{qantel, dual, intelca, amdahl, well}!proper!nilsd

dillon@PAVEPAWS.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (05/16/86)

	I see no reason why a Toshiba P1340 would not work with the Amiga.
The parallel connection wouldn't be a problem (just make sure you use the
proper cable).

	I haven't seen a printcap for the Toshiba, but it doesn't do anything
strange so it shouldn't be a problem to write one.

	I myself have got a Toshiba P1340... and love it.  The letter quality
mode is better than typewritten....

					-Matt

randy@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Randy Weiner) (05/21/86)

In article <238@proper.UUCP> nilsd@proper.UUCP writes:
>I am thinking of buying a Toshiba 1340 printer to attach to the Amiga I
>will buy this weekend.  Is this a good idea?  Namely, will I be able to use
>it for a)(most important) text, b)(less important) graphics?  Are there
>drivers available, etc?  If not, is it within reason to write my own
>(at least) special (bold-face, underline, etc.) text driver?

	You should be able to use the driver for the JX80. In text
mode, you should be all right. I don't know about graphics. This
information is second-hand. I do not have the Toshiba printer
and cannot say for sure what degree of compatibility exists.

	For using a printer with text, if it is at all Epson-like,
any Epson driver should suffice. You should refer to the command
table for the Epson printer-driver found on page I-8 (volume II)
of the Rom Kernal Manual for a complete list of Epson command
sequences. If your printer recognizes these, you are in good
shape.

--
     + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Randy Weiner -- Commodore Business Machines <<Amiga Technical Support>>

brooks@leadsv.UUCP (Brooks Price) (05/30/86)

Since were talking about drivers... does anyone know if a HP
thinkjet printer can use an existing driver (possibly an IBM
compatible?)

Any information would be appreciated...
Brooks Price

--

			  Brooks Price

			 (408) 756-4939

	{decwrl,dual,ihnp4}!{amdcad!cae780,sun!sunncal}!leadsv!brooks

adp@hp-sdd.UUCP (Tony Parkhurst) (06/02/86)

In article <961@leadsv.UUCP> brooks@leadsv.UUCP (Brooks Price) writes:
>Since were talking about drivers... does anyone know if a HP
>thinkjet printer can use an existing driver (possibly an IBM
>compatible?)

My manual (for an RS-232 version of the ThinkJet) says that if
the MODE switch (5) is up it will emulate an Epson MX-80 or MX-100 or
IBM graphics printer.  However, I do not know if this works, and
I do not know if the Centronics version has this mode.

I do intend to write a driver SOMETIME for the ThinkJet, I am using
the HP-IB version (definately no MODE switch) off the Centronics port
using a neato little converter I designed.

			-- Sparky

*      Tony Parkhurst -- {hplabs|sdcsvax|ncr-sd|hpfcla|ihnp4}!hp-sdd!adp      *
*                        OR   hp-sdd!adp@nosc.arpa                            *

nilsd@proper.UUCP (06/09/86)

(If u cn rd ths

A while ago I asked whether it would be sensible or foolish to buy a
Toshiba 1340 printer to go with my new Amiga.  Several replies were posted,
and/or mailed to me, and the upshot was, "I dunno, maybe."  So faced with
this overwhelming opinion, I went out to buy one and was seduced by
a little Citizen 120D.  This job is $150 cheaper than the Toshiba, (even though
the Toshiba is selling for around 1/3 its original $1K pricetag.)  I think the
120D is actually cheaper than any other printer around.  It has fairly
nice near letter quality, a multitude of sizes of print, everything can
be emphasized or shrunk or italicized.  It has proportional printing,
it will justify automatically, AND it emulates an Epson FX printer, so the
Amiga can draw on it!  I am quite pleased, in fact.

I'm working on off-loading a lot of the functionality from Ken Yap's
roff-like text formatter to the printer, since the printer driver knows
how to make the printer boldface, and all the other jazzy stuff.  If and
when I finish this project I'll send it to Fred Fish and let him do what
he wants with it.

Summary -- The Citizen 120D is a great buy.  ($185 at Advance Computers, in
San Francisco.)