[net.micro.amiga] Questions and ces

vog3@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (anton johan vogelsang) (06/03/86)

Subject: questions
Newsgroups: micro.amiga

I have a couple of questions to ask:

1) I am interested in purchasing an expansion box but I am concerned
   about buying a non-standard box.  My concern isn't with the
   slots (I'm assuming that they will be the same) but the actual
   physical size of the cards.  Will a card that is designed
   for the Micro-Forge expansion box fit in the ALLABOARD from dsi?

   As a note to the manufactures I prefer boxes that fit on top as
   I have more vertical than horizontal space.

2) My second question is to Commodore.  Why aren't you supporting
   the Amiga?  I was very disapointed at the CES show yesterday.
   You didn't even have any Amigas on display, only 64C's and
   128.  How compatible will the 2000 be with the 1000?

Note on CES:
  It seems like Jack has done it again.  Almost every software company
  had ST's on display.  Most had plans for the Amiga though.  It seems
  to me that while the ST has more software the Amiga has better quality
  software.  A rep from Batteries Included told me that they were
  preparing Degas Elite for the Amiga which was alot more powerful than
  the ST version.
  I like the new 64C it looks very sexy.  Every one who has a 64/128
  should get GEOS, It is great.

  Anton Vogelsang

hr@uicsl.UUCP (06/06/86)

RE:
	"I was very disapointed at the CES show yesterday.
	You didn't even have any Amigas on display, only 64C's and
	128."

I too was disappointed at the missing amiga displays. I did find
an Amiga in the Epyx room running the Apshai trilogy. There was a
box on the wall above the Amiga that said "Rogue", but I don't know
what machine it was for.

According to the advance program, Commodore isn't even scheduled to
be at Siggraph this year.

Actually, I was disappointed with most of CES this year. The computer
section seemed smaller than the last time I went. Literature sheets
were harder to find. Yamaha did demo a neat sound enhancer though.
----

	harold ravlin		{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uicsl!hr

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (06/09/86)

> 2) My second question is to Commodore.  Why aren't you supporting
>    the Amiga?  I was very disapointed at the CES show yesterday.
>    You didn't even have any Amigas on display, only 64C's and
>    128.  How compatible will the 2000 be with the 1000?

Well, I'm in now way representing Commodore's official news on this, but I
imagine that the Amiga is missing from CES for the same reason that you
don't see Apple or IBM at CES.  The Consumer Electronics Show is NOT a
public show (as you must realize, since you were there), but open to the
exhibitors, dealers, and press.  The kind of dealers that CES is for is the
large national accounts like K-Mart, Sears, and Toys-R-Us.  The ST is sold
in these stores, so is the C128 and C64.  Amigas, MAC, IBMs, etc. generally
are sold in Computer Specialty stores, and that's what COMDEX is for.  So
the fact that the Amiga was not at CES doesn't reflect the level of support
for it.

> Note on CES:
>   It seems like Jack has done it again.

You mean screwed the specialty store dealers?

>   I like the new 64C it looks very sexy.  Every one who has a 64/128
>   should get GEOS, It is great.
>
>   Anton Vogelsang

You should see it run out of a RAM Disk.  And they say the Amiga is fast...

--
Dave Haynie    {caip,inhp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh

	"I read dozens of books, 'bout heros and crooks,
	 and I learned much, of both of their style.."
						-Jimmy Buffet

	These opinions are my own, though for a small fee they be yours too.