[net.sf-lovers] Feminist/Non-sexist SF & Fantasy

tillson%latour.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM (10/21/85)

From: tillson%latour.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM

Mary,

In my opinion, the best writer of feminist/non-sexist SF and fantasy is
a man!  I am referring to Samuel Delaney.  I especially liked his Neveryona
series (Neveryona, Tales of Neveryona, and Flight From Neveryona).  It is fine
feminist fantasy; while I was reading it I had to keep checking the cover to
convince myself that it was not written by a women!  I also really enjoyed
Dhalgren and his latest, Stars In My Pocket Like Grains Of Sands.  No flames,
please, - I realize that Delaney is not to everyone's taste.  He can be
verbose and has never felt obliged to stick to traditional forms of fiction.
He IS very non-sexist, whether one likes his literary style or not (I do!).

Other feminist/non-sexist authors you might enjoy: Elizabeth Lynn, Vonda
Macintyre, Ursula Leguin, and Johanna Russ.  If you haven't discovered these
fine writers already, I will gladly recommend titles for you.

One last note:  I am an avid reader of Marion Zimmer Bradley.  I do not
consider her radical feminist works non-sexist because of her often derogatory
attitude towards her male characters.  This is especially true of her most
recent book, Warrior Woman, which read like a feminist version of Gor.  (I read
it and enjoyed it anyway.  Took it with the same grain of non-sexist salt that
I take with H. Rider Haggard and Robert Heinlein's (rather sexist) writing.)
It just goes to show that the sexist shoe fits as badly on the other foot.

/phae

@amd.UUCP (10/24/85)

> In my opinion, the best writer of feminist/non-sexist SF and fantasy is
> a man!  I am referring to Samuel Delaney.

Hey, wake up, folks: men can be feminists!  Now, get this straight or you'll
all be sentenced to net.women for a month!  :-)

L S Chabot