[net.micro.amiga] KickStart disks vs. ROM kernel

james@uw-atm.UUCP (06/03/86)

  There has been some debate about whether the kernel should remain on the
current KickStart disk, or be placed in ROM (as the name ROM Kernel implies).

  I would like to suggest a different solution: EEPROMs (Electrically
Erasable, Programmable Read Only Memory).  These would have the advantage of
high speed start (no more waiting for those blasted KickStart disks to be
read), along with the flexibility to make updates.

  If C-A had a new release, they would ship a disk which contained a program
which changed the EEPROMs. To protect against accident change (or worms in
posted code), there could be an electrically resetable switch on the back of
the machine which enabled erasing and writing of the EEPROM.  After you
started the updating program, you would be prompted to press the button, and
when the program was done, it would reset the switch.

  I am not sure of the cost of such system, and clearly it wouldn't do me much
good with my current machine, but on future machines it could be quite an
improvement.

  If you have any thoughts or improvements, lets hear from you.

-- James M Synge      UUCP: uw-beaver!uw-june!james

brianr@tekig4.UUCP (Brian Rhodefer) (06/05/86)

In all this Kickstart in ROM vs in RAM debate, I recall
someone saying that even if Kickstart is put in ROM, it
will occupy space in the "chip" memory.  Is this true?
If so, why couldn't the "Kickstart" code be located outside
of the 512K "chip" space, to allow a full 512K of usable
RAM in the base Amiga (with 256K add-on, of course)?

Are the coprocessors expected to execute directly out of
Kickstart codespace or something?

Yours in memory-lust,

Brian Rhodefer

In article <18@uw-atm.UUCP> james@uw-atm.UUCP (James M Synge) writes:
[...]
>  I would like to suggest a different solution: EEPROMs (Electrically
>Erasable, Programmable Read Only Memory).  These would have the advantage of
>high speed start (no more waiting for those blasted KickStart disks to be
>read), along with the flexibility to make updates.
>
>  I am not sure of the cost of such system, and clearly it wouldn't do me much
>good with my current machine, but on future machines it could be quite an
>improvement.
>-- James M Synge      UUCP: uw-beaver!uw-june!james

In concept the is a great idea, however these devices have not reached a
point where this would be practical.  In fact, it might cost more than the
current RAM/kickstart arrangement.

Understand that the entire kickstart image could be stored in one relatively
cheap ROM, or a pair more expensive EPROMs, while you would need maybe 16
or 32 expensive EEPROMS to do the trick.  Maybe in a few years, but not yet...
--
George Robbins - now working with,      uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing      arpa: cbmvax!grr@seismo.css.GOV

rj@amiga.UUCP (Robert J. Mical) (06/05/86)

In article <18@uw-atm.UUCP> james@uw-atm.UUCP (James M Synge) writes:

>  There has been some debate about whether the kernel should remain on the
>current KickStart disk, or be placed in ROM (as the name ROM Kernel implies).
>
>-- James M Synge      UUCP: uw-beaver!uw-june!james

As a point of interest, even if Commodore ends up putting the ROM Kernel
system code in ROM, you will still be able to put a Kickstart disk in
the internal drive and have that code be loaded as the system code.
This allows further releases (as well as custom releases) of the Kickstart
even after the Amiga goes to ROM.

Presumably, this will work with machines that have more than 512K of RAM,
since that 256K of Kickstart has to fit in somewhere.  I understand that
the Kickstart code was once upon a time successfully loaded into the
special RAM cache of the 68020 board that's seen glory days in the Amiga.
Now *that* is cool.

RJ >:-{)*

  =RJ Mical=

   Suite 123
   999C Edgewater Blvd.
   Foster City, CA   94404

   (415) 573-0497

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (06/05/86)

>   There has been some debate about whether the kernel should remain on the
> current KickStart disk, or be placed in ROM (as the name ROM Kernel implies).
>
>   I would like to suggest a different solution: EEPROMs (Electrically
> Erasable, Programmable Read Only Memory).  These would have the advantage of
> high speed start (no more waiting for those blasted KickStart disks to be
> read), along with the flexibility to make updates. ...
>

> -- James M Synge      UUCP: uw-beaver!uw-june!james

Sure sounds like a nice idea.  Only problem is that EEPROMs these days are
several times more expensive than Static RAM, which is more expensive than
Dynamic RAM, which is more expensive than ROM, etc.
--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Dave Haynie    {caip,inhp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh

        "I read dozens of books, 'bout heros and crooks,
         and I learned much, of both of their style.."
                                                -Jimmy Buffet

        These opinions are my own, though for a small fee they be yours too.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (06/05/86)

In article <18@uw-atm.UUCP> james@uw-atm.UUCP (James M Synge) writes:

>  There has been some debate about whether the kernel should remain on the
>current KickStart disk, or be placed in ROM (as the name ROM Kernel implies).
>
>  I would like to suggest a different solution: EEPROMs (Electrically
>Erasable, Programmable Read Only Memory).  These would have the advantage of
>high speed start (no more waiting for those blasted KickStart disks to be
>read), along with the flexibility to make updates.
>
>  If C-A had a new release, they would ship a disk which contained a program
>which changed the EEPROMs. To protect against accident change (or worms in
>posted code), there could be an electrically resetable switch on the back of
>the machine which enabled erasing and writing of the EEPROM.  After you
>started the updating program, you would be prompted to press the button, and
>when the program was done, it would reset the switch.

I think the idea of going to ROMS would be to *decrease* costs.
Maybe software should be put on little rom cartridges .. :-)

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (06/06/86)

+++++
Hi,

	Does anybody out there think that it might be practical or
even possible to put something other than Intuition in the kernel
store-- perhaps a Unix kernel?  I like Intuition well enough, but
it might be useful to run Unix software out practicality.
	The model for such an undertaking would seem to be the HP
Unix-based portable computer.

	It would be interesting to know how definitely write-once
to kernel memory is.  For instance, is there a flip-flop which
turns off the write-enable until a hard power-up?  That could be
both an advantage and disadvantage.  It would help protect the
sanity of the (Unix) kernel is the MMU-less environment of the
Amiga.
	I've heard that Unix ports have been accomplished on
MMU-less 68K based machines, but have not seen such a system.  It
seems like it would have a fair chance of flying, as long as one
doesn't try to overextend the Amiga by having multi-user (at the
same time) ambitions.

[	By the way, thanks to everybody that sent mail regarding my
query on the 900.  Sorry about consuming net time with what appears
to have been a very limited prototype machine.  Interesting that
about 50% of the people that saw the 900 loved while the other half
hated it.  I don't think anyone had an indifferent opinion!]

	Bill
	Norheastern Ohio Univ.s' College of Med.
	...!allegra!neoucom!wtm     (216) 325-2511 ext. 323

haddock@ti-csl (06/08/86)

/* ---------- "KickStart disks vs. ROM kernel" ---------- */

	> I would like to suggest a different solution: EEPROMs
	>(Electrically Erasable, Programmable Read Only Memory).
	>These would have the advantage of high speed start
	>(no more waiting for those blasted KickStart disks
	>to be read), along with the flexibility to make updates.

	>James M Synge      UUCP: uw-beaver!uw-june!james

Clearly a GREAT idea James, 'cept that EEPROMs are a
s__tload more expensive than the current RAM chips and
much more so over mass-produced ROMs.   Commodore wants to
go with the ROM 'cause they're much cheaper to put into
the Amiga.

			-Rusty-
*hardcopy*		*electr{onic, ic}*
Rusty Haddock		ARPA:  Haddock%TI-CSL@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
POB 226015 M/S 238	CSNET: Haddock@TI-CSL
Texas Instruments Inc.	USENET: {ut-sally,convex!smu,texsun}!ti-csl!haddock
Dallas, Texas 75266	VOICE: (214) 995-0330

chapman@pavepaws.berkeley.edu (Brent Chapman) (06/13/86)

>In article <18@uw-atm.UUCP> james@uw-atm.UUCP (James M Synge) writes:
>  There has been some debate about whether the kernel should remain on the
>current KickStart disk, or be placed in ROM (as the name ROM Kernel implies).

How about having KickStart in ROM standard, but with an (hopefully not
TOO expensive) option for us hacker types to replace that ROM with RAM
and use a KickStart disk?

I don't like the idea of "burned-in" operating systems, like the Mac's;
there are BOUND to be bugs, and there is no way to fix them.  Also, it
precludes "customization" of the operating system by people like me
(things like changing default options, and stuff like that).

On the other hand, with non-"burned" operating systems, if you're not
careful, you can get into a situation where you have 99 different
revisions of the OS floating around, and everyone is limited to using
the "least common denominator" system.  It's definitely something to
consider and discuss.

Brent

--

Brent Chapman
chapman@pavepaws.berkeley.edu

TANSTAAFL!  (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!)

In article <604@ucbcad.BERKELEY.EDU> chapman@pavepaws.UUCP (Brent Chapman) writes:
>>In article <18@uw-atm.UUCP> james@uw-atm.UUCP (James M Synge) writes:
>>  There has been some debate about whether the kernel should remain on the
>>current KickStart disk, or be placed in ROM (as the name ROM Kernel implies).
>>

>How about having KickStart in ROM standard, but with an (hopefully not
>TOO expensive) option for us hacker types to replace that ROM with RAM
>and use a KickStart disk?
>
>Brent

Oops!  OK, next time I'll read all 279 backlogged articles before I
start posting followups, to keep from suggesting something that's
already been mentioned.  Sorry about that.

Brent

--

Brent Chapman
chapman@pavepaws.berkeley.edu
ucbvax!pavepaws!chapman

TANSTAAFL!  (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!)

kurt@fluke.UUCP (Kurt Guntheroth) (06/13/86)

Could a kernal ROM or else a WCS RAM be plugged into the expansion port?
One or the other configuration would be shipped (probably ROM on board) and
the other would be available as an option.  (The WCS RAM would disable and
replace the ROM.)  This would be classic.