[net.micro.amiga] Q on window title lines && 25 line windows

dillon@PAVEPAWS.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (06/14/86)

	Currently, to get 25 lines in a non-interlace window, I must
overwrite the title... I give the console device the escape codes
necessary to have it start on raster line 0 (window relative, of course),
and tell it there are 25 lines available.  To get 80 columns, I simply
use a borderless window (w/no resize gadget).

	Problem:  Well, the title's still there.  Whenever I make the
window inactive or reactivate it after working in another window, intuition
updates some parts of the title line.

	Is there anyway to 'turn-off' the window title line? (this may be
a stupid question with the answer right in front of my face).  I still want
the close and forward/back gadgets (they havent caused problems).

				-Matt

rogue@well.UUCP (06/15/86)

In article <8606132326.AA09309@pavepaws> dillon@PAVEPAWS.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

>	Currently, to get 25 lines in a non-interlace window, I must
>overwrite the title... I give the console device the escape codes
>necessary to have it start on raster line 0 (window relative, of course),
>and tell it there are 25 lines available.  To get 80 columns, I simply
>use a borderless window (w/no resize gadget).
>
>	Problem:  Well, the title's still there.  Whenever I make the
>window inactive or reactivate it after working in another window, intuition
>updates some parts of the title line.
>
>	Is there anyway to 'turn-off' the window title line? (this may be
>a stupid question with the answer right in front of my face).  I still want
>the close and forward/back gadgets (they havent caused problems).
>

>				-Matt

Well, when I do this, I put up a backdrop window on my own custom screen,
and make it cover EVERYTHING (including the screen gadgets). I then bring
up menus (and allow access to the screen gadgets) by watching the mouse
buttons.

It's a shame that the Amiga only allows EXACTLY enough lines (200) to get
25 rows of text on the screen. I would have liked to see a screen size
that would give you this much room WITHOUT obscuring the top border of
the screen, as the Mac does -- however, when I try to increase the height
(or tell Intuition to make a larger window) the Guru emerges in a puff of
red phosphor. Sigh.
                                                   <rogue>

hsgj@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Dan Green) (06/15/86)

In article <8606132326.AA09309@pavepaws> dillon@PAVEPAWS.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

>	Currently, to get 25 lines in a non-interlace window, I must
>overwrite the title... I give the console device the escape codes
>necessary to have it start on raster line 0 (window relative, of course),
>and tell it there are 25 lines available.  To get 80 columns, I simply
>use a borderless window (w/no resize gadget).
>
>	Problem:  Well, the title's still there.  Whenever I make the
>window inactive or reactivate it after working in another window, intuition
>updates some parts of the title line.
>
>	Is there anyway to 'turn-off' the window title line? (this may be
>a stupid question with the answer right in front of my face).  I still want
>the close and forward/back gadgets (they havent caused problems).
>

>				-Matt

   Hi, its me, Mr. Requester idiot...  I think I have a solution for this
one, but you might not like it.  What you do is set the windowtitle to NULL
and have NULL gadgets.  That means not even a close_window.   Then all you
get when you open the window is a completely blank 80 col by 25 line window.
   What I did was have a "Window" menu entry.  Inside this menu were three
menu items; they were EXIT, BACKWARDS, and FORWARDS.  When a user clicks
on EXIT, the program closes the window just like clicking on the close-window
gadget.  Likewise, pressing menu bars BACKWARDS or FORWARDS does the same
as the depth arrange gadgets.  This was really easy cause there are functions
called "FrontWindow and BackWindow" which do all the work for you (yum!).
   PROBLEM:  If you do an autorequester *BEWARE*.  As someone else on the
net has mentioned, autorequesters have depth gadgets.  If you have the
above setup that I have just described, and the user accidently clicks
the requester go-behind gadget, then you are ruined.  This is because the
requester will disable the menu's of your program, so your program can NOT
get its window to go behind and reveal the requester.  Hence you are dead.
   By the way, you don't want to have escape codes formatting your window
(in my humble opinion) *unless* you have your console in Raw mode.  This
is because anyone can type an 'ESC c' which will reset the window and
lose all your escape code formatting.  That is generally not good.  I
suppose if you have it in RAW then this is no problem, but then again I
don't think you can escape-code the console if its in raw anyways.
   Hopefully this was of some assistance.
--
Dan Green    ARPA:    hsgj%vax2.ccs.cornell.edu@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu
~~~~~~~~~    BITNET:  hsgj@cornella